Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy post op advice

carmen01ccarmen01 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have recently undergone surgery for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. Before the surgery my syptoms consisted mainly of numbness, hot and cold sensations in one side and I lost some movement in my hand and leg.

Luckily the surgery went well and I have begun to recover, however the hot and cold sensations remain, and appendiges feel more sensative than they were previously. ALthough technically I am approaching recovery the lack of progress with these specific symptoms are starting to worry me.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced something similar, or someone who may be able to offer some advice. I would also be interested to talk with anyone who is about to undergo a similar surgery as I appreciate that waiting is a scary and clinical experience.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

• I underwent two level spinal fusion in March 2011. My pre-op symptoms were tingling, numbness, and burning sensation in both hands to the point where by 9:00 AM I could barely type, write, or do much of anything else. I also had referent stabbing pain in my left arm (primarily biceps) that was such that I had a hard time lifting it and if someone bumped me would cause significant pain. I also had pain in my hips and knees, particularly on my right side where it was difficult to walk up the stairs. All this is secondary to osteoarthritis so thought my knee and hip pain was due exclusively to this. I was exhauted from the pain and was moody by the end of the day (my wife was a saint during all this).

I did five months of physical therapy, which strengthened my arms and legs considerably but did nothing to relieve my pain. I had an MRI done two months into this and later an EMG to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome. Afterward, I was diagnosed with spinal myelopathy and stenosis with mild carpal tunnel syndrome. After this, I reluctantly decided to undergo surgery but for 2-3 weeks prior to scheduled surgery, I really stepped up my work out routine and monitored my diet closely. I had been able to do cardio (bike) and light weights up to the time of surgery.

My surgery was an amazing success. He did the procedure anteriorly, fused two levels, and debrieded a lot of spurs that were compressing on nerves coming out of C-6 and C-7. I was up in the chair 3 hours after surgery and walking down the halls that evening with no pain and minimal numbness. I consider my case to be life changing and credit my physical therapy, work out routine, and an excellent neurosurgeon (researched carefully who I wanted to do the procedure for this success.

Post-operatively, all the symptoms have gone away except for some residual tingling that is decreasing over time. I think that this could be do to the minor carpal tunnel syndrome and have been doing exercises and wearing a brace at night. The tingling has dissipated to a very minor amount and really is not very noticeable. Other than that I have had none but have been working on cardio and very light weights (though nothing over the head or anything that causes strain on the neck or lifting that requires moving the neck sideways). Perhaps this has helped but can't say for sure. I think I also had a classic case of compression and spurs pressing on nerves that was resolved with the fusion and instrumentation (i.e., debridement).

This doesn't mean I wasn't scared as I was told by one orthopedic surgeon that without surgery if I was hit just the right way I would become paralyzed for life. That got my attention but also pushed me to do a lot of research and I am fortunate to also have a lot of contacts in the medical profession that led me to this surgeon who provided perspective, understanding, and unbelievable skill.

Hope this helps and wish you the best. Am glad to share any other specifics if it will help as it was one of the most debilitating things I have ever experienced but because of the surgery feel like a new man.