Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware Removal help!!

fishinwidow98ffishinwidow98 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just left the OS office with news that I will be having the hardware removed from my L4-S1 fusion soon. My surgery wasn't even a year ago. I looked through some of the older threads but I am looking for newer advice. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on recovery time, if this procedure can/will help resolve nerve pain (my left foot CONSTANTLY feels asleep), etc...

When I was recording the pain from my hardware injection (to see if the hardware was causing my pain) my pain level was 2 & 3 on the 1-10 scale. My doc says this will most likely be my baseline pain level from now on after the hardware removal?? I was on pain meds when those numbers were recorded so I don't know about all this. I am in enough pain and had so many problems after the fusion that this makes me super duper nervous. Help??

• Have you had a second opinion on getting the hardware removed... While going thru my surgeries I always had peace of mind when 2 and sometimes more than 2 doctors agreed that surgery was necessary... something new to think about would be scar tissue.. scar tissue grows with each surgery and scar tissue can reak havoc on the nerves as well....best of Luck
  • Hi Fishinwidow,
    I am very interested to any responses you get on this. I had a L 3/4 and L 4/5 fusion with a cage and screws out in, last July, then I had a neck fusion about 6 weeks ago. I have had complications after every surgery in my life.My neurosurgeon and my Osteo want to take some of the metal out of my lower back around August.About a month after the lower back surgery I started having really bad pain in right side of my lower back, and the last week it has gotten so much worse, I'm so glad you got a second opinion.
    Please let us know how it goes.
  • I am actually on Workers Comp so I do what they tell me to do. I am having so much pain I am dying to have anything done to get this resolved. Doc says it's necessary so I am going to agree especially with the response I got from the hardware injection. I am just concerned about recovery time and what to expect. I know he said they would be making 2 smaller incisions on either side of my original scars so they could avoid any more damage & interruption of the scar tissue. Thanks for the help yall!!
  • I had my hardware removed from L4-S1 and a revision done at L4-L5 3 years ago. Unlike my original fusion surgery, I was in and out of the hospital in 1 day. Recovery was much easier than the first one. Hopefully this will improve your situation.

• I had my hardware taken out 7 months after my first fusion. It was a overnight stay, and the pain is very minimal. I could hardly tell I had it out. Piece of cake compared to the fusion. Recovery is quick, a couple of days and you will be good. Hope it helps you.
  • Thanks guys that helps a lot! I just wasn't sure what to expect.