I am facing a revision for a failed PLIF. Knowing what I know now, here are the 5 things I wish my surgeon had told me before or even after the first surgery:
1. You will NOT be able to jog or even sit properly at 6 months out, despite what I told you.
2. Ongoing severe discomfort is not normal and should be checked out.
3. Here are the alternative approaches to your problem and here is how often they work and the different effects they have
4. I have performed x of these surgeries and my complication rate (by category) is y
5. Here is your followup schedule and what milestones I will be looking for and how I will check on them.
i believe that I would have made a better decision and taken earlier action around my condition if I were clearly told these things.