Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artificial disks after a fusion?

nowwhat44nnowwhat44 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am fused a the L5/S1 and now have arthritis at the level above causing stenosis and pain in my left leg and foot. Not near the surgery level yet but probably down the road somewhere. My doc says only surgical option is another fusion as I stated in a previous post. The disk is not ruptured, it's just the arthritis. Among other surgical options, can they really do artificial disks now above a fusion?

As I explore the forum I see people saying that you can have a fusion at L/5 S/1, like me, and still get artificial disk at the l4/l5 level. Heck, last I knew artificial disks were not even approved by the FDA those jerks. Yet my surgeon says fuse...is it only because HE can't do artificial disc I wonder? If that is the case he could at least give me the information. Doctors..I tell you.

• but it sounds like you could be opening a can of worms .if you have arthritis ADR on top of a fusion could be a disaster ..my consultant did a discography before the used the ALIF because he wanted to see if the disk about the area he was going to operate on was sound {L3} he said if L3 was deceased there would be no operation as the operation is risky enough ..i was told by him that there was too little viable spine left for ADR and just enough for ALIF from what i can matter he is doing a PLIF too ..i read the notes and it says something like he is doing anterior stabilisation with end plates and screws THEN flipping me over to do an approach form the rear to ensure that he is satisfied with the end result?? {not word for word} but something like that ..all i know its going to be a big risky op
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I just had a ACDR at C5-6 and ACDF at C6-7 with plate and screws on April 18th of this year and thus far it has been the BEST thing I have done but I am a young 33 year old active female who was hurt on the job(nurse). The FDA approved artificial discs or at least the one I have about 6 years ago...but your only allowed one per person in the US...that's why I had to have both...BUT was glad I wasn't fused from 5-7!!!
    Best of luck...