Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I insist on an MRI of the lumbar spine?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
After injuring my back in October, I had an MRI of the t-spine, which showed several disc herniations, the worst of which is in the area of T9. According to the NS, it appears to be pressing on my spinal cord. That being said, I had a CT myelogram on Thursday. I meet with the NS tomorrow to go over the myelo results and discuss possible surgery. Over the last couple of weeks, I have developed a pins and needles sensation in my legs and feet and I get these shock-like pains down both legs. Walking has become increasingly difficult due to an overall feeling of weakness in my legs. Over the last few days, my mid-back hurts (obviously), but my lower back has been hurting quite a bit as well. Could thoracic disc herniations also cause pain in the lumbar region, or should I talk to the doctor about possibly doing an MRI of the lumbar spine? Also, perhaps the increased lower back pain is related to the lumbar puncture during the CT myelo? What are your thoughts?

• Your lumbar might be related to the way you are carrying yourself to protect your T-spine. Often times when we are injured in one area we do carry ourselves differently because of the pain. It's not unusual using different muscle groups to protect the painful areas, which puts a strain on them of course because they aren't use to this abuse.

But of course you should talk to the Dr tomorrow about all of your symptoms.
  • But I don't think you should insist on anything. Tell your doc what you're feeling and let them make the moves they feel are right. You never want a surgeon or doctor to feel that you think you know more than they do, which of course, is usually true.

See what he says and of course, keep us updated.

• Yes You should insist that they do mri of lumbar spine,I was also injured and doctor was refusing togive me mri of lumbar spine but I insisted cause I had leg pain with numbness,cramps,tingling and of course in the end he put me on mri of lumbar spine which showed annular tear,herniated disc and pars defect on L4-5 so of course You should insist You know the best how do You feel.Wish You well :)))
  • Its not easy to insist anything in dr office. After all who is in charge of deciding what test is needed. You can stress the fact that you feel something is going on with pain being more severe or from diferent symptoms and if the dr is good then he will look in to it either sending you for mri or ct scan or discogram or what have you.

But if you start to insist or make demands, you may just demand and insist they toss you out the door on your ass lol. I think insist might be the wrong word to use. You can be firm that you feel you should have 1 of course because something aint right. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Tell the doctor what you are feeling and ask if it is related. Obviously something is going on. I agree with Robin that having issues in one part of the body always seems to affect other areas. Like they say, the ankle bone is connected to the shin bone, etc!!
    Good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    May I be so forward as to ask .... what was the actual MOI (method of injury). That in itself can help determine the need of significance of a lumbar MRI ... and yes certainlly (in my experience at least)
    spinal taps for diagnostic purposes can certainly lead to, increase, and/or cause additional low back pain.

Did you have the LBP only after the procedure or was it there prior?? Is it getting worse? Is there anything that aggravates or alleviates the pain?

Gee those sound like doctor questions!!

I am not a doctor - but I used to play like one many years ago, in a land far away. But thats another story for another day. (I knew CPR I could help & used to be able to do a 100% strip! - You ACLS'ers know what that is !!)

Warmest regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

This discussion has been closed.