Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! IS THIS NORMAL???

BRANDYLANIERBBRANDYLANIER Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello everyone! I had L5/S1 ALIF surgery on 12-29-2010. I still have a constant numbing, burning, stabbing pain where my surgery was. I have had an MRI and everything is fine per the MRI. My surgeon says everything is good on his end so, I have been going to pain management doctor. He has done two nerve block injections and they have not helped. Is this normal? Is anyone else experiencing this? I am so DONE with pain and want to be NORMAL again. I am tired of taking pain medicine, going to Dr. appoitments and have procedures done. HELP!!!
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    And welcome to S.H. forums. With fusion surgery there is no such thing as normal. But given that, I think you can expect a lot of changes over the next 12 mo.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I had PLIF and didn't have that sort of psin, certainly not constantly. Can you see someone else for a second opinion? I know you are fed up of procedures but maybe someone else will have the answer. Sometimes the surgeons seem to take a bit of a "well I've done my bit now, off you go" approach!

I also think us spineys are a bit too stoical (being so used to pain)so we don't seem to be in as much pain as we are to the casual observer (even to the doc) and so we are not taken as seriously. I have taken to laying it on thick to get taken seriously now! My GP told me to.
  • Hi Nel,I was wondering how you are now,after having had a year go by
  • Ah well - I don't know how to link to other threads (doh) but see the one about hardware infection in the back surgery thread!! Short answer is up and down!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    as Jim stated, give yourself time.

5 months post surgery and you are really just a babes in the woods.

Providing a time table for when you should feel better is almost impossible. There are so many variables involved.

Dont get trigger happy looking for second opinions or other doctors. Since it sounds from your MRI's and surgeon's review, there is nothing basically wrong and the nerve blocks didnt help, what are they suggesting next?

I've always believed that the surgeon has the easier of the job. They go in do their spinal surgeon, patch you up and the rest is really your hard work.

That is following all the restrictions and limitations that the surgeon placed on you. Faithfully attending physical therapy and more faithfully doing all the exercises you need to do.

And time.. Its amazing how much heals in time
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement