Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does it take for increased intracranial pressure to get to normal after ACDF surgery?

BrihtwulfBBrihtwulf Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,

I had my ACDF at C5-C7 and bone spur removal on Monday morning, and am currently at home trying to recover and rest. One thing I'm wondering is about the increased intracranial pressure that was found in my MRI's before surgery and how long that takes to be relieved.

Also, just how tight should the collar around my neck be? The nurse at the hospital was a little vague, basically saying "don't choke yourself". But is there a decent guideline to go by when putting it on or taking it off?

And should I try to keep my neck completely still or is a little trying to stretch or straighten in the collor?

Well, getting really sleepy again, so time to lay back down...

• I just had ACDF C3 - C7 2 1/2 weeks ago. I didn't have intracranial pressure, so I can't help you with that. I just saw my home care nurse and asked her about how tight the collar should be. She said wear it just tight enough to provide support and that you won't turn and twist your neck. I don't wear it that tight.

I get tired easily too. Take care.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I had an ACDF C6-7 w/cadaver bone-plate-screws and ACDR C5-6 with Neuro Monitoring on 4/18/11...

I didn't have any problems with intercranial pressure although they monitored me during surgery but I came out fine....

I have a soft collar that I wore non stop for 2 wks unless I was in shower and now I wear it when sleeping...exercising(MILD MILD walk)...and while in car...I now take it off when I'm in the house...
    My surgeon said have it tight enough as to where my neck wasn't moving and twisting and it was being supported...but don't choke myself:) The support of the brace feels great to me!! **Smiles**