Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Revision done and I'm home

honeysmomhhoneysmom Posts: 292
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had my revision surgery on Tuesday and was sent home Wednesday morning. I am not experiencing nearly as much swelling and pain as I did the first time around. The worst part is the Aspen Collar, which I have never had to wear before. I figure if that is my only complaint, I'm doing pretty well!
My NS told us that when she opened me up they found that the wire that connects the battery to the paddle lead was completely frayed and connected only by one little thread. Apparently the plastic straps that anchored the paddle to the ligament had rubbed on the wire and eventually sawed it completely apart, thus the failure of my SCS. I'm sort of glad to know that it was not the unit failing after all. I still have a completely new setup, battery, wire and paddle lead, as well as new remote and new charger. She was taking zero chances of having to go back in to fix something else later. They are waiting to turn it on this time until some of the swelling goes down so I won't start getting the benefit of it until next week. They have changed the material they use to anchor the paddle lead so I should not have to worry about this happening again.
Overall, I have to say, "so far, so good". I'm resting well, just needing to get up every couple of hours to walk around and stretch my legs. My hips are hurting (not the incision), probably from the way they positioned me during surgery as well as my jaws and head, again because of the way they position your head. But I'm really good overall and am excited about leaning over the sink later today to wash my hair! Can't shower for a week, but I've got to have my hair washed for sure.
Can't wait to be healed up and back to normal, but I'm so glad to have this behind me and I'm looking forward to getting this thing turned on and back to work again!

• That's great news. Glad your doc is proactive and not reactive like so many others. Revisions are certainly easier than the initial implant. For starters, the IPG pocket won't burn like it did the first time.

Rest up and let us know how it goes once they switch things on.

• Good news that this surgery has been easier on you and she found the problem! Sorry they had to replace everything. Wishing you quick healing and I'm sure you can't wait to try it all out ! Yeah, like C said about the burning at the IPG pocket, I had no idea it would burn like that... Take it easy and keep us posted.

• One week, two days out and so far, so good with my healing. Boy did that nurse clip my wings on my follow up, though! I had to have my 20 year old daughter drive me there because I wasn't released to drive yet and she went in the room with me so she could hear everything the nurse said. Darn it!

6 weeks of pretty much doing nothing except for walking, including wearing this awful Aspen collar. I've been lucky that sleeping hasn't really been too bad even though I'm up every couple of hours to reposition. My incisions look good and are open to the air to breathe now. And my hip has given me no discomfort at all.

I'm headed to the Pain Mgt office this afternoon to turn on the stimulator finally! Can't wait to get it programmed and running. My arms and hands will be so grateful. She told me that I have permission to go back to work mid week next week for a few hours/day if I'm really careful, but that I must adhere to the no bending, lifting, twisting and that means no more than 5 pounds until six weeks is up. I can do that. I'm not enjoying driving with this collar anyway, so I'll limit that for sure.