Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

low back pain when standing & walking

superted1973ssuperted1973 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, I am a 38 year old male. I have had this problem since I was about 20/25years old.
I used to get the pain in my lower back if I stood up for a period of time longer than 30 mins. Recently (about 5 months ago) it has become worse and as soon as I stand or walk i get a pain in my lower back (feels like my top half is to heavy) I am aware of a sensation down my legs and have started to get this when laying down and sitting also. I have tried painkillers and ibroprofin but dosent touch it

I was wondering if somebody could give an idea of what it could be and if it could be anything to worry about??



  • I think your question is best answered by a doctor; an orthopedist, a neurologist or a physiatrist or "pain doc" as they're called. I had progressive pain that was treated over the course of 30-years until an accident made lumbar surgery necessary and I've been pain-free ever since. Over that time or, well, the last 10 years of it or so, I went through a number of internet forums and met some really great people like the ones here. But when it came right down to it, "it-could-be-this" or "it-could-be-that", "yeah, I had that too and it was this or that" never made much difference. A doctor had to try and diagnose the problem and treat it. Now that doesn't in anyway denigrate the thousands of well-meaning people I've met and continue to meet on forums like this but every person and every problem is different, especially when you're experiencing "a sensation" down your leg which, like mine, meant it may be nerve-related. And the truly horrible thing about that is that nerves are irreplaceable so getting it properly diagnosed and treated soon is really important. My disk degeneration put pressure on the nerves coming out of the foramen in my lower back but I was monitored by doctors and treated for all those years before surgery. You just can't replace nerves.

    Hope this helps.
  • Would recommend that you see your doctor and ask him/her for a referral for a CT scan or MRI. Depending on the results of the scan, you may be referred to a pain specialist or neurosurgeon.


    XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

    I agree that further testing is necessary to determine where your pain is stemming from. I could be disc-related, but it could also be stenosis or facet problems, reading your symptoms.

    If you haven't already, start with your PCP and go from there. Like it was already said, you may be referred to a spine specialist and if you are, try to find a fellowship-trained spine surgeon/specialist, ortho or neuro, but one that only works on spines.

    Please keep us posted. You've got us involved in your life now, so we'd like to keep updated on what happens, k?

  • Exactly. What a great group!
  • When walking, you should wear comfortable shoes that provide good arch support. If you are carrying something while walking, you may switch hands or shoulders often to balance out the stress on your back. The best way to know your condition is to go and see your doctor. Healthcare professionals can provide an accurate diagnosis and appropriate medication for your condition.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.