Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shouldn't put this here, but need quick responses please

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi fellow spineys.

I know I've posted this before, but we're going to the vitamin store tomorrow.

I'm experiencing extreme tiredness/sleepyness. Every day. My only change in meds, and that was over two months ago, is Meloxicam, strong anti-inflam.

Many of you I believe mentioned Vit.D supplement, but maybe it's Vit.B. I need something to keep me from being so sleepy all the time and I believe it's vitamin related.

Can you offer some help and/or suggestions here please? I know I need to see my doc, but need to try something in the meantime. I'm not on any heavy duty meds, Norco and Diazapam (along with one Meloxicam a day), and this just started in the last two weeks. I don't think I'm eating right and really need a supplement. I know we're not docs, just suggestions please. I'm working on eating better.

• Howdy Cath,

Most seem to find help with "D", "B12" and Iron supplements. I just had my levels checked and actually found my vitamins are on the high side, especially my B6, B12, D and Folic acid. None of which is bad. I was told I don't need to take supplements, which I don't. I guess the foods I eat are meeting and exceeding dietary requirements?

Have you had any blood work to see your levels yet? That might not be a bad avenue to check out with your primary.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Cath, I am chronically fatigued and have hypothyroid disease, though treated my numbers are still not under control and are 37.? even with 225mcg synthroid daily.. but, the other day (last week) we bought sublingual B complex with B-12 and I have more energy than I have had in years. I am not the type of person who is affected by placebo or easily influenced, and really was not expecting much from these drops. They do work for me and as a matter of fact, I felt a little shaky about a half hour after taking them (both times). I only took them twice because of the energy from them, and can't afford to be on my feet as much as I was when I took the B-12.
  • Cath,

I take on a daily basis both B and D, along with a fish oil, and K and a multi vitamin. My doctor and surgeon both agree with my injuries I need to be high on vitamin D. The normal level should be between 30-60 and they want me up to 90.On D I use 4000 Iud's a day and it does help with muscle spasms. Now in my case the one thing I stay away from is potassium as it runs to high as I don't use salt. I forgot I also use folic acid, which is good for any women. Yes you should get your blood work done and see what all your levels are, as it important. Not sure of your age, but menopause could also or might be a factor as well. So getting hormone level checks might also help out. A surgeon friend of mine eats about as healthy as they come and still uses tons of vitamins and supplements, so have a doctor guide you on appropriate levels for yourself. As Robin said B will help for sure.
  • Cath, one of the unusual side effects for Meloxicam that is to be reported to your doc is unusual tiredness. I know you plan to see your doc, but sooner is probably better; maybe even talk to a pharmacist and see how uncommon this is??

• After listening to you guys and conversations with a friend, I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow to set up a complete physical exam with blood work before I start supplementing.

In the past couple of months, I've also lost so much weight that I can take off my jeans without unbuttoning them - might be coincidental, but might not. I've chalked all this up to my new job, but it's just gotten too bad to ignore, so I'll get a complete blood workup, tell my PCP about my meds, the weight loss and how tired I am so hopefully we can come up with what the problem is and find a solution.

I sleep great 99% of the time at night, but want to sleep during the day more than I've ever wanted to. Dang, I hate being tired more than anything. Just when you get to the point where you feel you've gotten your pain under control (at least to the point of functioning on a relatively normal level), here comes the exhaustion.

I'm going to be 50 in early October so perimenopause might be part of the issue, although I don't seem to have any other major side effects of it. I've gone through the night sweats and those are over, at lease for now.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd like to just stay home and rest today, but I've been doing that for the last three days and it hasn't helped, so I'm going to ride in the golf cart with hubby while he golfs and go grocery shopping. Dang, I hate this stuff.

Thanks again.
  • I really don't have any advice except to agree that checking in with your dr. to try to find out why you are so tired to begin with sounds like the first step.

My dr. recently gave me meloxicam too. He's hoping to try to keep the inflammation at bay enough to keep me going and reduce the need for anything else like steroid packs or other anti-infammatory meds,etc. I take tramadol but seems to wear off an hour or two before the next dose and although I'm not pain free it sure is alot more tolerable when it's working. Do you find the meloxicam helps you?

I hope you get into your dr.soon. I know working and keeping up at home can wear a spiney down. I hope your dr.finds an answer to get you back on track beofre you know it! Good luck!

• My doc gave me meloxicam for the same reason - the two areas above my cervical fusion are messed up and at the time I couldn't afford injections, so he said lets try the meloxicam.

In all honesty, I think it's helping as my neck feels better, but it could also be my new job as I work out the muscles that support my neck every day now with what I do at work. Or maybe a smooth combination of both.

I did recently have to do a steroid medrol pack for my lumbar as I was having some serious mechanical pain and that seemed to help. Lordy, these never-ending pills, drives me crazy.

Kathy, do you think the meloxicam is working for you?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    including b-6, folic acid And biotin. I get it on line from wonder laboratories.
    Someone suggested it quite some time ago. I take 2 a day and I swear it helps. I'll take all of the help I can get.
    But I'm glad your seeing your Dr.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • As everyone has mentioned, I take D and B12. However, iron seems to have been missed here. If you're anemic due to iron deficiency, that does make you really tired as well, I've lived most of my life with that. Do you also find you're feeling cold a lot too? That's another symptom. Anyways, I'm glad that you're going to set up an appointment. Hope you get the blood results soon, so you can start any vitamin regimen that might be needed!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Yes, I get cold easily, but I have ever since my neck started hurting. It's all so convoluted, the cold, the tired, the pills, the possibility of a thyroid or medication problem - I think I just need my doc to sort this out.

My biggest hope is vitamin deficiency and I can just go to Vitamin Cottage and get what I need. Even if I need to quit meloxicam and deal with more neck pain, I'm ok, just let me have some energy for the summer months.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm betting it's the iron, Vit. D and B12, and perhaps this anti-inflam. We'll see - I should be able to see her this week. She's very good to me and should get back to me quickly.

• 1000 mg vit c daily helps me a lot for both flue type probs ,but also energy levels.Thats what those Berocca losenges are full of,& they are for an energy boost.
    Worth your experimentation.Not very expensive,any excess leaves body very quicky,so no build up.
    All the best.
  • I have adrenal insufficiency, which causes me to have extreme fatigue, due to the fact that I don't make cortisol normally. I was diagnosed with AI about one year before I started having spine issues. I have had quite a few epidurals with steroids, which can suppress your own adrenal function. That and the stress of several spine surgeries have left me producing virtually no cortisol.

I have to take a replacement dose of hydrocortisone everyday. I have learned that the adrenal glands need all B vitamins, as well as vitamin C to function properly. I was also told to eliminate caffeine completely, as it depletes cortisol.

You could also have your cortisol level checked to make sure that your adrenal gland is working properly.

Take care,

• Glad to hear you're checking in with the doc. I know you've been on your painkillers for quite some time, but they are both sedating drugs as well. It's probably a combination of all kinds of things going on by the sounds of it.

I wouldn't go adding a bunch of supplements until you make sure it's okay; there are some vitamins that can't be taken within two to four hours of medications, so it's worth talking to your doc and pharmacist about all those things.

Take care and keep us posted!

• Hi, While I was in my doctors office I was looking at a magazine and there was an advertisement in there that is supposed to help you with being tired, excessive sleeping, etc.... It's called Nuvigil I believe it's by a prescription.

URL Removed by Administrator Dave
  • I take NuVigil because the Oxy and Savella make me sleepy.

Cath--I think a complete check up is a great idea!!
This discussion has been closed.