Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got to Come Home

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
The doctor let me come home from Hardware removal. I'll post about it when I feel better. I just got home and the meds are making me dizzy.


  • Sending you best healing wishes, and will look forward to hearing how you are doing.

    Hope you are comfortable >:D<

  • Ok I've had a short nap and the room stopped spinning. I went in at 8am today to have my hardware taken out. It seemed to go pretty well and I feel ok other then some surgical pain. He must have had a hard time on the left side because it hurts more then the right. In recovery they had a hard time getting my pain under control. Seems when they were taking me off OR table into recovery the IV needle backed out slightly. Just enough for the fluids they were pushing to not go in the vien. It's called IV Infiltration. My left arm and hand are painfully swollen from all of the extra fluid. Anyway diloted (sp?) doesn't work if it's going into tissue instead of veins. The nurse maxed out my dosage before she figured out the problem. She gave me my Lortab, turned off that IV, called IV therapy and the anesthesiologist (sp?). Within 5 minutes I had an iv in the other hand and the doctor approved another round of diloted. I felt much better quickly. Anyway my surgeon came in before my pain was under control and was talking about admitting me for pain control. As jacked up as I was I begged him to go home. After that he agreed if we could get my pain down he would let me go. I didn't get to keep my hardware. I really wanted it, but something about sending it off for analysis.

    I've been trying a heating pad and holding my arm above my head some to bring down the swelling in my arm but so far it hasn't helped. Any suggestions let me know. Thanks for the support guys.
  • OMG, I overslept. Guess I was sleeping off the anesthesia but now I can't get my pain in control. I'm sitting in my recliner wondering what I should do. I've taken my second dose of painkillers at the maximum dosage. Hope this one brings it down to tolerable. The hospital called, they offered for me to come in to get shots, but getting there would be horrible. On a more positive note the swelling has gone down a lot from the IV Infiltration. I've still got some pain from the original IV but it isn't real bad. If the pain isn't in control by 4 I'll call my doctor and see what he suggests. Kind of suprised he hasn't called me. Last time he called the day after I came home.

    Anyone got any suggestions for food. I've not been hungry since I got out of surgery and know I need to eat something. Also have some scratches in my throat, think they used a new guy to intubate. It doesn't bother me they need to learn too. And to answer the question, no the nurse who did my IV wasn't learning, in fact that was all she does.
  • Have you tried ice cream. I haven't experienced cervical surgery, but have read that several people have found ice cream soothing, and that seems logical. Also yoghurt, soup and I've even read that someone used babyfood!

    Sounds like you still have some problems, although things are improving.
    Hope to hear that you are getting more comfortable and that the pain is under control by tomorrow.

    Could you ask if you could have your hardware back after they have tested it?

    Keep healing :-)

  • Sorry to hear and hope you get some better pain relief alternate moist heat and ice on your IV arm swelling and keep it elevated on pillows. Try some soft foods like yogurt and soups, Jello, soft foods and hoping someone who's had surgery will come along with more suggestions. I hope your pain gets under control or find someone to get you a ride to get some pain shots. Praying you feel better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome home! I hope you have been able to get your pain under control, either by your meds or trip to hopital for shot.
    I would stick to soft foods as well,Charry made some great suggestions.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery

    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks everyone. Doctor office called around 3:15. He had me take a valium to help with the spasms. It helped loads. He also said stay on the max dosage of my lortab for several days and set alarm to wake up and take them. If my level didn't come down he was going to admit me to the hospital. He called again at 5:30 before he left the office to check on me. Anyway I'm doing somewhat better. The pain is down to a 6 now. My left side is still bad, haven't seen the incision yet, but I have bruises on both shoulders, guess where they moved me after they knocked me out. The swelling in my arm has gone down for the most part. And I sent my son down to the grocery for yogurt and pudding. Hoping tomorrow some of the scratches will feel better. I almost think this is going to be a worse battle then the fusion was. Amazing what we put ourselves through in the pursuit of health. I could probably try to go on disability but I'm not ready to say I can't do anything yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.