Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5->C7: 8 weeks post-op no restrictions

bay2000bbay2000 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Some of you asked me to report progress as I was extremely nervous about having C5 thru C7 surgery. On March 30th I had the surgery and a bracket was inserted across the 3 levels. I have a bone growth stimulator and took some melaleuca vitamins that have 'bone health" listed as a benefit. I was 8 weeks post-op this past week and saw the doc on Friday (of Memorial Day weekeend) and it he has determined it to be fused. I'm told movement of <1mm is pretty much considered to be fused. One level was .5mm and the other exactly 1mm. With that he lifted restrictions and I have been cleared to officiate NCAA football this season given it's still 2 months away. Even took a ride on the wave runner yesterday (but didn't jump waves or anything crazy) but it felt good to be on the water. He was clear I wasn't 100% fused and wants to see me in 2 months as he does with all patients. No pain swallowing any more and neck feels fine. Even though restrictions lifted I hired a physical therapist to help me with a "wellness program" so I don't do anything stupid in the gym. They are helping me get strength back and I have progressed well. I'll be more than willing to attach an xray picture so those of you who want to know what the bracket looks like can see it for yourself. I just don't know how to post pics. Cheers, Bay!
advertisement

Comments

• Congratulations. It sounds like you're a textbook case of how an ACDF should go. Everything you've posted sounds right to me - restrictions lifted at three months, but still don't overdo, see the doc again in couple of months, not yet totally fused, etc.

And you're very, very smart to go to PT to learn how to live in the future to keep things well with your cervical spine. Hopefully you'll also learn exercises that, when you do overdo it, will help relieve some of the muscle tightness that you may have in the future.

Congrats, Bay. I'm so happy fo you and wish there were more reports like yours here on the forums. Please continue to keep us posted and if you can, come back when you can to give strength and encouragement to others who will be going through what you've been through. We need more good stories here.

Take care,
    Cathie
  • Hi, your recovery sounds great! When I had mine done (2 levels) I was back to work at six weeks. There are some things I will miss doing, like riding a roller coaster, and snow sking. I have not asked my Doc for clearance for these fun activities since I am just afraid to mess something up! I hope your therapy goes well.Oh and a nice ice wrap for my neck was my best friend for a long time!
  • I will be 8 wks post on Monday...I get my Xray Friday and see my Doc on Monday to see if there is any bone growth...I am a young "neckie" so I wasn't given a bone stimulator...so fingers crossed this body hasn't failed me again...lol...if I'm cleared I get to go to PT...YEAH...so we'll see....glad to hear you were riding a wave runner...gives me hope...I jetskii...quad...ect and was afraid of waves and bumps...guess I'll just have to give it a try and see how I feel when I'm allowed to:) Take care and I hope your recovery continues to go well!!!!
  • I'm told if you get multi-level ACDF is one of the conditions where an insurance company would be willing to pay. If I understand your post correctly (I'm guessing ACDR is "replacement") and therefore a BGS may not have been an option for you because both levels were not fusion. My P90X workout routine is in hiatus!
  • I see what your saying and yes ACDR is replacement...I have one replacement and one fusion....
advertisement