Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey everyone question for yall

MysticeyezMMysticeyez Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Chronic Pain
I hope I am in the right forum. Ok low down. I have DDD degenerative disc disease, a squashed disc ( not sure medical term sorry) lop sided hip bones and a curved spine. I went to a Chiro forever , then ... we moved. My husband (income earner) is a teacher which means income reduced in summer. I was looking at the at home traction machines for lower back ( where my problem lies. Now we can not afford one atm. But the co pay for our insurance is still $50 USD for each chiro visit and in the other job I averaged 2 a week. I know traction works for me cause my old Dr put me on traction and it made it so much better.

I digress Does anyone have any experience good or bad with the at home Lumbar traction things?
advertisement

Comments

• I'd be very interested to read other people's experience of lumbar traction equipment for use in the home.

I'd like to know:

Do they work?
    If so, what specific back problem(s) did it ease (if at all)?
    Are they expensive?

To be honest, it sounds like torture to me!

Mind you, chiropractors, can be viewed in the same way as far as I'm concerned. I certainly will not be visiting one again after having had an extensive course that [I believe] caused me to develop sciatica that was eventually operated on (twice!). Now, I'm not saying chiro was directly responsible for my ultimate fusion surgery. I wouldn't dare, but I cannot understand how something SO painful during manipulation can be doing your back any good. This is only my personal opinion of course and, for most people, I'm sure chiro's are great!

Never heard of home lumbar traction equipment - I wonder if it's available in the UK (I must look it up on the Net). I hope you get some responses to your post.

SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Now that it is summer, if you can go to a pool and hang out in the deep end, you can use one of the noodles to hold your up part and let your lower body suspend, which creates a traction in itself, in a natural way. The pool is a great option in summer to cut back some of those cost associated with medical.
  • My experience is that traction thing didn't do anything for me but it didn't hurt either.

I asked my surgeon about it. If you have DDD or bulging disc...the lumbar thing can help for temporary relief.

Honestly, with lower back issues, I'd avoid a chiropracter...but that's my opinion. I'd be worried he'd do more harm than good. It would be more beneficial to go to a physical therapist and learn 'safe' exercises to keep your core strong and alleviate the lower discs.

As for other relief ideas...I agree if you can get to a pool, it's very therapeutic.

Of course someone just gave us their lumbar traction thing b/c my husband thought it helped. You essentially hang upside down (or with your feet over your head) for about 10-15 mins/day. In theory, reversing the gravitational pull on your back. Of course once you get off it, the gravity just kicks back in.

I did ask a few doctors about it and they said that it can help and has helped many people. I just didn't like it b/c I'd get a head-rush.
  • Another thing to consider is to ask your doctor for a prescription for the traction. That way, your insurance will likely pay a good portion, if not all of it.

Just a thought. :)
  • do some stretching on a Swiss ball and a little swimming .you dont even have to go to the expense of purchasing any equipment .get on the floor with a few pillows and go some floor exercise lay on you back with you knees bent up and sway from left to right a few times then turn over and get on all 4s then stretch your legs out and up {one at a time !} then on your back and bring your legs up and hold them up to your chest then rest
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Could you handle an inversion table? This is a way of "stretching" the spine to give the discs and nerve roots a little breathing room (kind of like a traction table but by using gravity) - they run $250-300. Ask your doc if it would be suitable based on your anatomy and pathology. if it is you could use it every day...
  • I would defintately avoid swinging any part of your lower half "if" you have low back problems. So I disagree with Tony.

I did trackion before my lumbar surgery. It was very painful and my insurance did not pay for it since it was performed at a Chiropracters office and they called it something special. If you can have a physical therapist do it with a script from your doctor that is probaby best. They will know how much stress to put into your traction with out further injury to your spine.

If you are looking for a used traction unit you mat consider the one where you lay on your back and bent your knees, there is a small rack that goes behind you knees and slightly pulls. I would worry about the big units where you hand upside down being too much. I have some friends that use these big things daily, but their back problems are minor and they are bot very fit. Ebay may have some units that are used at a good price.

I agree with the pool, works well. Also I have a very large excercise ball that I use to decompress daily. Either laying my stomach on it or putting my feet/knees on it.

Good luck,

Julie
  • i am a teacher with chronic pain and the main bread winner due to my wife on unemployment ins. My district offers us the option of dividing our salaries into 12 month incruments so we can get paid during the summer. Does his district offer this option? I believe most districts do at least in California. If it does, i would look into it then you don't have to worry about monies as much as getting paid 9 months
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.