Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tremors - new symptom

Sweetrobs2SSweetrobs2 Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I didn't know what other forum to post this in. Also, please disreagrd my typos. Left hand is not what it used to be (and I work ona computer all day!)so my typing pretty much sucks now.

Oct 2009 - I had an Anterior Corpectomy with fusion C4-T2 and a Posterior Laminectomy with Instrumentation C3-T2. Recovery went great even went back to work 1 1/2yrs later. After working a month or two, numbness in left hand and arm came back only the ring finger and pinky. Index finger nerve damage - can't straighten it- can live with that -NS told me the surgery will help 40% - 60% and I will never be back to where I was, but I won't lose full use of my left hand again. Pain and numbness actually went away for a while. Now Having pain on and off in left and right arms and hands - have to work because my husband lost his job and is going to retire.

Anyway, I take a lot of meds - anti depressants especially anti depressanes - one of the side effects is shaking. My left hand and arm have been shaking (tremors) for a while now, and, when I am tired, my right arm and hand shake a little too. Saw a doctor about my anti depressant meds and she noticed the tremors. Right away she said it is more than a medication side effect call your NS. Sometimes when I am sitting and I put my feet so they are resting on the toes, my legs will shake too.It is a new symptom, but I am not convinced it is from my neck. Has anyone else experience this?

The last time I saw my NS, when I would get severe pain in my hands and elbows almost 1 yr after the surgery, he wanted me to go to a rheumatologist to rule out arthritis and to come back if it isn't that. Never went - I knew it wasn't arthritis. Thankfully the pain stopped on its own

Anyway, didn't mean to make this so long. Just want to know if anyone else has or had tremors and was told it is from the problems with the neck.

Thanks for listening! (reading..)

• I'm on a load of Meds also...went from a Multi Vit every day to taking 8 meds at different times of the day...I was told my tremors are from the possible nerve damage and my Central Nervous System was being shocked by the nerves being pinched...after surgery my tremors are less but I'm not back to work yet...maybe you working has something to do with it...my hubby says I "jump" all night long...it doesn't wake me up...so I just go with it...hopefully it will stop once my system is out of shock??!! Keep us posted...
  • Robin,

The only time I get tremors - tremors in my full arm (right) is if I use the cutters to cut vines on the fence. I finish cutting them, and my right arm goes nuts!

Aside from that, I have tremors in my fingers on my right hand almost daily, and once in a while the left comes into it. There are some muscle relaxers that can help as well as nerve medications.

Remember, for the muscles to go nuts and cause us to spasm, or have tremors, the nerves are involved. For me, Lyrica had knocked down a lot of it. Please bring this up to your doctor to find out what can relieve much of this...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Lyrica was part of my med regimen before and after surgery...

For one it does help me with the burning and "jumping"...tremors(we all call it something different but I believe are talking pretty much the same language)that runs down my L arm into the fingers...

For two it is one of those meds you don't just stop on your own...you have to taper down off of it...I'm pretty sure I will try to taper down once I'm further in my recovery...I'm at max dose so I'm sure I will at least try to get to a lesser dose...

For me jumping/tremors are different than spasms...when I jump or tremble it's the arm/hand just jumping on it's own but it really doesn't hurt me any more than it already was hurting...

But when I have a spasm...well call me a sissy and put me in a corner till I'm done whimpering...I'm done for...or I yell PLEASE PULL ON MY ARM!!! The family is use to it by now...it's been almost 1.5 yrs now since injury...and don't ask me why I think pulling on the arm helps...I'm told it's a mental coping mechanism to the pain...lol...

I'm still early in recovery so I still have hope that this will all heal and everything will be ok...but have excepted the fact that I MIGHT have permanent nerve damage...

Please talk to your MD about this...there are things out there that can help...
  • Thanks for the input! I have been putting off calling my NS but I guess I will have to. I don't have spasms or the jumping, just the trembling. I cannot straighten my left index finger nor am I able to put my hand out straight with all of the fingers together, but I am used to that even though intially after surgery things were better. I remain happy with the results.
    I did get worse after I started working which was 7 months after the surgery. The first 4 weeks the pain was almost intolerable, but after some minor ergonomic adjustments, it went away if I didn't do any filing (bending over and turning head) Now I sit literally all day at the computer, have to really pay attention to not turning my head a lot;the cubicle is in a terrible spot for me, but I have not been able to get it changed (small family owned company). They did, however, buy me a new chair when I first started and great wrist rests which help.

Anyway, I am rambling so time to go. I will post an update as soon as I see the NS. Probably won't be for a month or so.

Thanks Again! Even though I do not log on to spine-health very often anymore (I'm on a computer all day so just can't after work) I am glad to know all of you are here for me to turn to with questions and concerns. I do throw in my two cents once in while and share my experience with those who are going to have surgery or are recovering.

Best regards,