Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nuerontin or Cymbalta?

nowwhat44nnowwhat44 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Pain Medications
Thinking if trying one of these for my sciatic pain caused by stenosis. I now they are different types of drugs but was wondering if anyone had experience with one or both and how it works for you?
advertisement

Comments

• I haven't tried Cymbalta, or Neurontin, but My dad has tried Neurontin in the past.

Neurontin might of helped the pain a little but the side effects were not worth it. He had no memory at all. He stopped and was put on Zonegran, which has helped some, but without the memory loss. Both of which I was told are for nerve pain.
  • I have been on both meds. I used nuerontin for a long time, and then developed double vision. The med did help with nerve pain, and was up to 2,400 mgs a day. When the double vision appeared they stopped the nuerontin as that is a side effect. I did have to work with the med getting used to the other side effects, but then sometimes the pain is so bad the side effects are not near as bad as the pain. But the double vision was not a side effect I could deal with. I then went to cymbalta for a extended period of time and did it help, but developed a bladder issue with retention, which was unrelated to the cymbalta. The testing actually led back to my spine. However, cymbalta is known to cause bladder issues, so they won't use it on me, as I still self cath. Although I have asked to go back on it several times, as I did like how it worked. I have actually asked to go back and try nuerontin again but the doctor doesn't want to take the risk. Which one does your doctor prefer, given your medical conditions and general over all health. I will say cymbalta also had side effects as well and took a little bit of work to get used to them. Good luck on no matter which one you try and keep us posted on how you get along with them.
  • I tried Neurontin for about a month and was up to 3x 300mg tabs a day. I was required by insurance to try it before they would approve Lyrica. I had problems remembering, which adversely affected my ability not only to work but to just function in general. If I hadn't input every appointment I had in my smart phone I would have missed everything. My attention span was so short that I could rarely drive anywhere but home or work because I'd never remember to stop for gas, groceries, etc.

I switched to Lyrica building up to 3x 75mg tabs per day. I took this dosage for about a month and a half. It got to the point where I didn't seem to care about anything. I couldn't get out of bed in the morning even when my back and/or legs wasn't hurting badly. I can't honestly say I was depressed. I didn't feel depressed, but when I told the PM doc how I was feeling he was concerned and even went as far to ask if I was suicidal and if I was taking break-through meds to get high. That was a wake-up call for me.

I've just about tapered off the Lyrica, just 1 pill a day for another 2 days yay!

I started taking Cymbalta at night and so far I'm feeling better mentally. I'm more with it and I think I've got a better outlook on things. Perhaps I was depressed! The pain in my legs is much more pronounced than it was when I was taking the full dose of Lyrica, but honestly I think I like where I am now better than where I was 3 weeks ago. I'm sure putting up with more leg pain will start getting to me again but for now I'm just dealing with it the best I can.

As far as side effects, I have been having a hard time getting to and staying asleep. The last 3 nights in a row I've woken to find I'm sweating profusely. I'm talking like I'm soaking wet with sweat. I'm going to turn the a/c up a degree tonight and see if it helps.

With all these meds it boils down to what will work for you, and what will provide the best quality of life. I'm sure we could all drug ourselves into oblivion if we truly wanted to feel nothing. But that's not living. I hope you find something that will work for you.

-Lonely
  • I'm actually on both Cymbalta and gabapentin, I take Cymbalta for anxiety. What lonelygirl said above, about the sweating, yep, so the same for me, too. The best for me for pain relief was Lyrica, but I gained too much weight too fast, so opted to go back to the gabapentin. It's not as good, but does help.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I have been taking 900mg of neurontin daily for the past three weeks. I have notice little, if any, relief in the aching pain in back of my legs. What I have experienced are several negative effects. One is an occasional feeling that I am spastic with little control over my lower torso. That one comes and goes. The other two are more troublesome. I am having concentration issues. Time seems to pass me by and I don't accomplish anything. In combination with that issue I am also noticing some short term memory loss.

A humorous, but potentially dangerous, situation occurred yesterday when I boiled some eggs. I started them and then walked off and totally forgot about them. When I walked past them later I noticed that my daughter had turned them down very low. I then turned them back up higher and proceeded to forget about them again. About 30 minutes later I walked past the stove and noticed that the water was nearly evaporated from the pan, so I "guessed" that the eggs probably were boiled. Today I will see just how hard boiled they really are!

Incidentally, my surgeon initially prescribed Lyrica for me but Humana would not pay for it. Neurontin became the second drug of choice.
  • Ok , so here's my two cents worth on the subject. LOL I have small fiber neuropathy and also myopathy, and intially my doctor prescribed Lyrica and I gave it a go for a few weeks, but due to the side effects I experienced I had him switch me to Neurontin, (generic is gabapentin). I suffer from depression and anxiety attacks and one of the side effects of Lyrica is possible anxiety attacks and also weight gain. Unfortunately I experienced both of these side effects in the first few weeks that I was on it. I called my doctor and told him I needed to switch me to neurontin, and have been ok with it. I started out at 600 mgs a day but have increased to 900 mgs a day.
  • for the leg sciatica but haven't tried Neurontin but Cymbalta has worked well for me. I take a small dose of Lyrica for neck and elbow pain. Cymbalta is also an anti-depressant and that helped me as well as it's now accepted for sciatica as well as chronic lower back pain. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I took Cymbalta for approx 2-3 months and I started
    to have strange thoughts, not suicidal but agressive
    behavior. I would have to say close to hurting people. When I told my MD she told me I was not the only patient to tell her that. So just be careful.
  • I take 2 300 mg neurontin 3x a day for nerve pain. Originally I was on Lyrica. The only reason I switched was because Lyrica was much more expensive. I'm on a Medicare Advantage Program. I don't want to reach the 'Donut Hole' and have to pay much more for my meds.

I have not tried Cymbalta. Neurontin works for my neurological pain due to degenerative disc disease and also for my peripheral neuropathy from my diabetes. I have not had significant side effects that I know of.
    Greyeagle
advertisement