Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oath and our doctors ....

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Management
Found this today while reading some stuff from another site... haven't seen it or heard it in years so thought we might all enjoy reviewing it, It is an interesting read:

The Hippocratic Oath:

I swear by Apollo the Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods, and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art–if they desire to learn it–without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken the oath according to medical law, but to no one else.

I will apply dietic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

What I may see or hear in the course of treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep myself holding such things shameful to be spoken about.

If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot

Review with your doctor - at your own risk??

(Can you actually imagine your doctors swearing by this at some point in his licensing or career?

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Dave,

I did some searching on the net to see if the oath had been 'updated' or 'modernized' and here it is. By the way, both the old and the new are in use depending where you graduate from.

"Hippocratic Oath: Modern Version

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."

—Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • From what I understand Dr's do not have to agree/say the oath if they are not okay with it.

Reminds me of, while you may have a DR he may have graduated at the bottom of the class. There is no way of finding out that type of information.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    that there are so many physicians out there that go far beyond what that oath states.

For many of them, they don't need an oath to guide them on how to treat their patients. No more than does a piece of paper tell you how to drive a car.

Physicians spend the good part of their early life sacrificing so much. None of them would be going into that field unless they believe in dedicating themselves to helping others.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • But sadly there are a few who take the oath and do surgery thats not needed just for profit and how many you see scaming people and destroying there life. I just hapened to watch 1 from right here in chicago on tv. And he was with a hospital with good reputation but flew under the radar hospital not doing proper back ground check on dr. It hapens more ofthen then we like to think.

Dave where you been? Not seen ya in a while. Unless i just missed your previous post cause i usualy get lost here when i jump from post to post. Hope all is welll.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Im okay ... Sorry to hear about your latest bout with the screaming nerve pain :( .... Missing you at the 11:00am coffee talk .... still trying to be on at that time each weekday.

Hang in their my friend. Hope to chat with you again soon ... I think we could both use the comic relief!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Thank you both, Dave and Brenda, for posting this. I haven't read it and found it interesting. When I read it, I though of my surgeon and believe he took his oath very seriously. He's truly an awesome man and surgeon.

Like Ron, I have the deepest respect for doctors (the good ones), who dedicate their lives to help others. It truly is a 24/7/365 job. When you look at some credentials of our doctors, you must think of how much time they take outside of their treatment schedules to maintain their certifications, etc.

I also have the same respect for nurses, although I don't know if they sign an oath or not, but the ones I've had after my surgeries were angels. They all cared about me more than I would've thought - they cared about the little things like how I wanted the lighting in my room so I could sleep the best, dealt with the problem of major pain because I couldn't press the pain button when I was sleeping causing me to wake up in agony, making sure they were there every time I needed anything, and on and on.

Now, if only the hospitals cared about the food a little more, but that's a different subject. :-)

• Very interesting. Ron, I'm thankful too. I have great doctors right now that have really been working with me. They're kind, compassionate, they work together, and they have my best interest at heart. There are good doctors out there.