Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Revision - Did they use the same scar/incision?

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have C5-C7 ACDF and may need C4 added in. I see my surgeon in July for further discussion. But for anyone who has had more than one ACDF, was the same incision/scar used?
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• In my 3 fusions (one being 360) they have gone in the front twice and the back twice. Should have just had zippers installed. They have healed nicely tho. Good surgeon. And really can't tell I have had more than one surgery with the scar.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • SpineAZ,

When they had to add my C6/7, my surgeon said he was going to go through the first incision (C5/6). I now have gills as he didn't go through the first one. When I asked he said the distance between the levels wouldn't have allowed him full access?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • For my ACDF Revision, they used the same incision on the front side, but they had to turn me over and do some posterior work as well. The front incision healed up very nicely. The doctor added about 1/2 inch to the length of the front incision when doing the revision.

When will you be having this done? Is it a revision, or are they just adding another level? I'm interested to hear what the doctor says and how involved the 2nd surgery will be. Good luck. It was scary enough to have one spine surgery, but to go in again is harder because we know how difficult the recovery is. :)
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Looking at Cindy's post, my guess is my surgeon didn't want to make my scar longer?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    My big worry is him getting in there and having to go posterior. I had my ACDF in 2006 and that was easy compared to the 2008 posterior cervical foraminotomy.

For my 2010 lumbar fusion L3-S1 they did use the same back incision but of course that gets complicated with scar tissue.

Thanks everyone....still debating if I want to do this, do I want to do it now, should I wait, etc. As you can imagine it depends on the day. If I have a day where I always have neck pain with radiating pain I want it done. BUT, much of my neck pain is posterior. I describe it as "arthritic" type pain, so I know an ACDF won't address that.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I used two different surgeons and each had to enter my neck multiple times. So they both used their same incisions. Of course the posterior incisions has been used three times now and it is most definitely my problem child, sense I lost the posterior muscle. The posterior incision is close to a large whole in my neck being I can stick a finger tip in it now. It really had nothing to do with the surgeon just the risk of that surgery.

If your blowing levels that fast I would ask about what they can do to stop it from occurring. For example I have issues up at C2-C3 and they put rods back in posterior to sure it up. Which did take some of the pressure off my posterior muscle, but it will still require me to use muscle relaxers more than likely the rest of my life. The spasms have a life of their own, these days.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I have very lax ligaments and tendons so joints (including spine) are loose. C4 was "iffy" before my ACDF and I wish I had pushed the surgeon to do it then. I've since changed surgeons and the new one is much more open to fixing what he finds. When he did my L3-S1 fusion last year he agreed that if when he got in there more needed to be done we were both in agreement he could do whatever needed.

The pain in the posterior part of my neck is troublesome and I know can't be relieved by ACDF. So I have to start thinking about is now the time to do more neck work or wait. One day I say yes, one day I say no!