Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone with osteodiscal bars ???

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease

I have been trying to find out exactly what osteodiscal bars are.

I am guessing they are a form of osteophytes, but why the 'discal' part.

Mine are prominent and posterior and one or two are compressing my spinal cord.

I had thought after my appointment with the neurosurgeon that it was a herniated disc pressing into my cord, but the MRI report say osteodiscal bars.

• Jellyhall,

I got this from the "World Dictionary"..

"Discal: biology, zoology relating to or resembling a disc; disclike: discal cells"

Guessing here as "discal" is an adjective, and the osteo part is the bone, your osteophytes may now be shaped similar to a disk and expanding out indenting the cord. I would guess if "disk like", hopefully that means whatever this is, it is smooth vs ridged or pointed? Again, guessing as I broke the word up to its elements.

Once you get the expert actual "deal" with what these are, please let inquiring minds know. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • and many thanks for giving some your attention and brain power to helping me try to work out what osteodiscal bars are.

I think you are right about discal being used as an adjective, but I think that osteo is being used as an adjective too. I think they are describing the bar.

Having spent time searching, I think that a spondylotic bar is probably the same thing. There is quite a lot of information about that.

I even found a description of how spondylotic bars form.

As we age, the discs dry out and the annulus fibrosus declines progressively. The degenerating disc causes the intervertebral space to narrow and it may be lost completely. The disc protrudes into the spinal canal. Osteophytes form at the margins of the vertebral body, converging on the protruding disc and may convert it into a bony ridge or bar. This bar may extend laterally into the vertebral foramen, narrowing the spinal canal. As this happens the risk of cord compression increases and with it damage and myelopathy.

I will ask at my appointment for the doctor's definition and let you know. :-)

• very Welcome Jellyhall! I know how frustrating it is to find something "new" on our MRI's and have no clue what it is; and then too can't seem to find it on the big ole world wide net! I think between the two of us, you figured it out pretty well. Have you looked at the MRI images to see if you can find them?

On your other thread I made the comment of being in fear of you developing myelopathy. Silly me, (Brenda smacks her head), you have it in your signature! I hope it will be addressed *sooner* rather than later!

I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers that what all is going on is still reversible with minimal issues. *HUGZ

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.