Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been waiting all week to hear from my doctor concerning my MRI of the thoracic spine. The MRI tech scared the crap out of me last sat. during my test, asking me if my doc had a number to reach me on a Sat. I kept calling my doctors office this week and they kept telling me they did not have the results. I got tired of waiting and picked up the results this morning. Imagine my surprise when the report was on my lower spine. I called the MRI facility and asked what test my doctor ordered and they told me thoracic spine. Then why did they do the lower spine? On top of it all I was required to pay my deductible up front, 700.00. I explained to the tech that I was not paying for this test, they did the wrong test and wanted my money back. Sorry they cant do that. My doctor needs to call them Monday morning. I believe this may be insurance fraud. How can they make me pay for a test that they did incorrectly. They did not even offer to do the correct test. This is so unacceptable to me that they are not even trying to make it right. I had the lady pull my paperwork and it clearly states to look at disc t1-T3, the test was being done to see how the disc below my hardware was holding up. Last time I checked L4-5 was not the thoracic spine. I am floored that nothing is being done. Sounds like a call to my insurance company first thing Monday morning then file a complaint with the hospital.

• I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't believe that they did the wrong test and won't own up to it. I know that many of us have been waiting and waiting to hear what the deal was with what happened last Saturday and now this???

Arrrrggggghhhhh! I can feel your frustration and am with you. Sometimes things go so wrong and it puts us in the middle with anger and frustration.

I hope they make it right, you get the test you need and get an appointment to talk to your doctor about what needs to be talked about.

Gag. This kind of stuff just makes me sick.

I'm thinking of you, like I have been all week. Now another weekend to wait to get things moving again. Crud!!

• What did they see in your lumbar that was so urgent? If they scanned the wrong body part, and he made the comments he did, he had to see something? I would wait till Monday call the facility and ask to speak with someone in management, I am sure that person is not on duty today. I think once you get a hold of the facility manager they will fix the issue for you.

Like you I have the high deductibles and I can certainly understand your frustrations with the whole situation. Especially when they wanted the deductible up front before they would perform the test.
  • Terrible that this would happen to you. I like everyone, has been thinking of you this week, since your post last weekend. Waiting to hear what you heard from your doctor.

I too would definately speak to someone in charge on Monday. They need to do the correct scan and refund your money.

You continue to be in my thoughts.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The mri tech saw what he thought was disc infection. This had been investigated last year and found to be fine. I have sat here and thought about the fact that they did not offer to do correct this. My doctor needs to call them. Why should he, it is their error. Oh well I can sit here and be mad all I want it will do no good. I will just have to start making phone calls Monday morning. Starting with a higher- up at the hospital. Re-take the test and hopefully get my results soon
  • Sorry this happened...it sounds like you have a good plan of might as well relax this weekend and not stress as you can't do anything...

I would think that your Dr. will get involved and work with the facility and/or insurance to not have them or you pay anything...

He knows that it was supposed to be a Thoracic MRI...
    So I would actually call him first and speak directly to him and then see what calls he wants you to make...just my thought..

The bad part is having to do another MRI...that stinks...

I just went through a week of stress as I help take care of my mom and there was a large bank error...but we found an issue last Sunday and they didn't know it was an error until Tuesday...so we..including the bank prepared for it being a possible fraud..so we closed bank accounts...stopped checks...she gets Soc Sec...open new account...blah blah blah...and then try to keep my mom calm as she has heart issues...

So we just did everything we could each day calling places one by one and meeting with bank reps...and then let it go at night...

Keep us posted on what happens...I hope it may easily be worked out!!
  • Definitely call your doctor, but also call the CEO of the facitlity where this was done and file a formal complaint. Let them know in a nice way that if this is not settled to your satisfaction you will be contacting an attorney and then do it. This is the kind of crap that causes health costs to go so high! And definitely call your insurance company and perhaps a patient advocate if the hospital or your insurance company has one. Just don't pay them another dime as they owe you the correct test at no extra cost.

sue in ohio
  • I would want to see the doctors request form. Mine is attached to my copy of the MRI CD that I received. It has the doctors name, the medical assistant who processed the form, the code and description of what was being filmed and my diagnosis.

Good luck,

• I would be angry, too.

They have put you thru a big bunch of crap and wory--I feel so bad for you!!

Call everyone you can to get this resolved!! I know you will!! ;)
  • After a friend took a whole afternoon off work to take me to an "better" MRI farther from my house, and too paying $500 up front, I get a call two weeks later that the "MRI parameters were not set correctly" and that the test had to be repeated, but I would not be charged again (no, I can guarantee they won't offer discount or return your deductible, but they absolutely should NOT charge you again to do the correct study, and you should be worked in ASAP at your convenience, and if they genuinely cared about their patients as a courtesy should be read as a "stat"). They realistically would only suffer a medico-legal liability if the delay of the correct test resulted in harm to you, and would only be fraud vs. an honest mistake if they billed your insurnance for the second scan, or refused to do the correct scan.

It took a week for them to get me in for the second scan, and over a month from the original study to finally get results, which IMHO where probably no different from the MRI up the road...

Your doctor is going to be your best advocate, because whom he refers his patients to his an extension of his reputation...plus, if he has the option of altering his referrals, sending his business elsewhere will do more "harm" to the imaging center or hospital than a letter that gets tucked into your files and might come up in a board meeting; see if your hospital has a "Patient Safety" Committee and maybe address it there...

However, I wouldn't put it past some of these imaging centers to try to charge your insurance for a second scan - if that happens definitely let your insurance company and your State Board of Insurance know. A letter to the CEO of the imaging center/hospital, cc:'d to your insurance company and State Board of Insurance should suffice.

I was frustrated at getting a whole extra hour of radiation, plus delay in my overall treatment plan, and I still received a "balance bill"....since they eventually did do the right study not much I can do over human error which theoretically didn't harm me.
This discussion has been closed.