Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 wks PostOp ACDR C5-6..ACDF C6-7 with hardware..update..

SGoodySSGoody Posts: 90
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI all...I am 8 wks post op on Monday and feel great...I saw my Surgeon this past Monday to go over my xrays...he says for my injury and the length of time I was down I am doing "excellent"...bone growth is right where it should be...hardware is in perfect position...

I am "half way through my home recovery" so I'm suppose to continue doing what I've been doing for the next 7 wks and then I go back and most likely start some PT...

My pain is soooooooooo much better...it's around 4/10 down from 8/10...the burning is only in 3 spots...the joints...wrist...elbow...shoulder...this down from the whole arm burning...and spasms are here and there...more than likely brought on by me:) LOL....

Some days I feel really tired...but it's normally after I've tried something for the "first time" since surgery....but I bounce back pretty good....

Hope everyone else is doing well......

• I am so pleased to hear how well you are doing.

Keep it up!

I am interested to hear how your cervical injections went. It looks like they want to try them on me!!!

I don't like needles, so that is not my idea of fun.

• Sarah,

I love hearing good news!! I am so happy you are coming along so well. I can almost see the happy face on the other side of the monitor!

Just keep following doctors orders, and don't overdue on the 'good days.' We do tend to do that. (G) Tell your body to keep up the good work!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • The 1st injection he went in from the L side under fluoroscopy and did the injection at the C5-6 site...within the first couple of days I was feeling really good...moving good...my neck wasn't hurting as bad...I could move it from side to side...then at about 3wks out everything started coming back...

The 2nd injection was done purely to jump through a comp hoop!!! By the time I got that injection they knew I needed surgery ASAP...

The 2nd injection was done from the back of the neck under fluoroscopy and was injected at the C6-7 site...the only thing this injections did for me was cause a major HA for 3 days and give me a huge bruise on the back of my neck!!! I had NO relief from this one at all!!!

It's kinda a 50/50 thing with me...first one helped...second one was an EPIC FAILURE...

• Thank you all for your encouragement and support...I hope all of you are having a pain free day!!!

• What is an HA?
    How did the injections feel?
    Do they give you anything to help?

Hope that you are continueing to heal and having a good weekend. :-)

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    HA = Headache

I also had two ESI's within the past couple months.
    The first lasted about 3 days ... the second did nuttin -
    But I am several years post fusion and have mucho hardware and scar tissue that has formed.

My doctor just used xylocain to numb the area - I had facet injections a couple of years ago and they gave me a little valium I.V. - but that was done at a hospital

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• He numbed the area where he was inserting the needle so all you feel then is a few little pokes...then when he did the actual injection I was surprised by a flash of hot so I didn't feel the actual injection the first time...I had a hot-flash from the steroids...I'm weird with meds so this may not happen to you...it a possible side effect but the % is low and I happen to be one of the luck few...YIIIPPPEEE...the second injections he numbed the area just like before but this time I felt no hot-flash or anything...I just felt sort of a little tugging feeling...then he said done...I had a little sedation with both injections but all they gave me was a little Versed which did nothing...so yeah I was awake...I was able to ask for IV meds cuz the injections were done at a pain clinic near where I live...that's all he does is injections on certain days:)just don't think too much about it...sorry for writing in short hand...it's habit:)
  • What were they trying to achieve with the injections? Pain relief, or reducing the inflamation to relieve pressure on nerves?

At the moment, if it is just for pain relief, I think I would pass as I am coping with it, and don't want to risk causing headaches or other negative symptoms.

• The steroids were suppose to reduce the swelling so then it would relive multiple symptoms...less inflammation less spasms...but mainly in my case nerve pain and to help reduce the risk of long term nerve damage...they knew the nerves were pinched really tight in there cause of all the trouble I had with my L arm/hand....

My main concern was the nerve damage...my limbs are my job...I have to be able to use them!!!!

I had REALLY good docs all around from my primary MD...to my Comp MD...to my Surgeon...small area...they all know each other so that was a plus...

So with all three of them agreeing that the injections could NOT hurt one bit and possibly make it easier for the surgeon to get in there once surgery was approved...

I hope this helps ya a little bit....
  • Hey Sarah!
    How is your recovery and PT going? I am so glad your surgeon is pleased with the results! I go in for my 12 wk x-rays/appt next Tuesday, so fingers crossed! I got a little wild last week and went to a concert....probably not on my 'approved list of activities', but I don't like to be told what I CAN'T do. :-)
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations

• I saw my neurosurgeon on Tuesday and he confirmed there were no plans for surgery at the moment.
    I had some x-rays (flexion and extension) and he is sending me for nerve conduction studies. Did you have them? What were they like?

Then he is also referring me to Pain Management for cervical injections. I don't know exactly what type. He mentioned Epidural Spinal injections, nerve blocks and Botox. Do you think they will make my neck look younger? Lol!

My symptoms are getting worse, so I may go ahead with them. I hope they will deal with the headaches that I am getting and this arm pain. The tingles, twitches and pins and needles I can cope with. I am also getting awful stiffening from my chest down to my toes each morning - several times in bed and then while I am making breakfast. Later in the day, I don't get them. I wonder if they can get rid of those as well.

How are you feeling now Sarah? I hope that each week sees you improved on the previous week. Thanks for your input on your experiences.

I didn't have any injections on my lumbar spine as things had got too bad and I needed surgery. This time they want to try to improve things more conservatively.

Take care >:D< >:D< >:D<