Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had 360 ALIF of L5/S1 on June 6th

shangree01sshangree01 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All! Well, I had the ALIF on June 6th. Everything went great! I was a nervous wreck the hour before the surgery of course, LOL.... but I get like that. The Surgery took about 3 hours total. I have an incision from my belly button to my pubic bone. I'm still very swollen from it of course. But it's healing very well. The incision on my back is about 1 1/2 inches long.

But the nice thing is that I left the hospital within 24 hours from the surgery. I met all the criteria. They said I could stay longer if wanted, but I wanted to get home SO bad! I am fitted with a back brace that I will wear for the next 3 months. I'ts not bad to wear. Not uncomfortable, just a pain to get on and off when needed.

I actually thought I would be in more pain then I am/was. I thought for sure I would need a lifted seat for the toliet.... but nope. Actually not problems at all. Showers felt good to take... Sleeping is actually ALOT better then expected.

I have been going for a few walks every day around the block. It's odd that any pain I do get from that is in my hips. But Was told that is to be expected. I'm disappointed that I do still have some of the same back pain. The sharp stabbing pain when trying to get up at times. I try to keep in mind it's only been a week out. My tummy pain is basically gone now though. I don't feel like I'm dying if I cough! ha ha.

I go back to see my general surgeon to check tummy incision on June 29th and my back Dr on July 19th. I can drive again after 2 weeks from surgery. So next Monday.... WHOO HOOO! I am trying to get a good nap in during the day. One to pass time and I don't go CRAZY sitting still, and the 2nd to heal faster.

My main note to everyone is... that Ebay and Bedrest is NOT a good thing! ha ha. It gets too addicting! If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

• yes i do have many questions to ask you {but not tonight too many things going on} i am due to have mine sometime this year but as i live in the uk ..no date yet ..i have been waiting for nearly a year from discography and i am in awful pain and sleep only for 2 hours a night life is hard but very precious
    tony x
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • You seem to be doing great!!

I am glad coming home less than 24 hours after the surgery worked for you. It will be trending to very short post op stays due to insurance companies trying to keep costs down.

I was discharged less than 24 hours post op. It did not go well for me. We had an hour and a half drive, which was extremely uncomfortable. My first evening home, I was hit with severe nausea and vomiting, most likely from the anesthesia. I honestly was vomiting so hard, I was afraid of tearing open my abdominal incision. I was in tears, and hubby wanted to take me to the local ER, but I refused.

Within the first couple of days that I was home, I realized that I was not limping because of the incision on my hip-bone (where they had removed the bone for the bone graft--instead, I had complete left foot drop!

Fusion is a big deal. I think everyone should be kept at least 48 hours post op to make sure there are no problems or complications.
  • I am so relieved to hear a good post op story from a 360 fusion! I am happy you are healing well. I am getting my 360 fusion next month and I get more nervous every day.

My doctor said I'll most like be in the hospital for 3-5 days. I can't believe you went home the same day! You must be one tough cookie!

My first question: Did they fit you for the brace after the surgery? My doctor hasn't mentioned one but I assume they'll mention it when I go for presurgical testing.

Next question: How was the drive home from the hospital? I'm getting my surgery done in NYC but I live on Long Island. I'm sure everyone knows that NYC isn't exactly known for it's smooth roads. My mom will be driving me home and whenever she drove me home from epidurals (and my discogram) she manage to drive over every pot hole known to man.

Next next question(it's kind of weird): I was worried about the toilet situation but you say that you aren't having issues. Are you just sitting down and getting up really slowly? I know it's a weird question but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering lol

I have a million more questions but can't quite sort them out in my head right now so I'll have to ask another time. Thank you for taking the time to help others. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Ps- I typed this on my iPhone so if there's any weird words thrown in here you can thank auto correct lol
  • Its actually not uncommon to have hip, or SI issues, after fusion of the L5-S1 area, since the stresses of a fusion are often transmitted to the adjacent level above or level below. The level below is the SI joint, hence hip issues.

Itsbettinna - the most important "toilet" thing I can't stress enough is to get a toilet seat rise of 4" along with arm rests to help yourself up prior to your surgery. Good luck.