Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MY RFA experience

laga77llaga77 Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Management
Yesterday I had a 3 level, L3-L5, bilateral Radio Frequency Ablation. I have severe DDD at all Lumbar levels, severe Foraminal stenosis at L4-L5 and L5-S1, and moderate Facet arthritis L3 thru S1. In the past I had the Caudal epidermal and Facet joint injections. Both gave some relief for a short amount of time. The procedure itself was not bad at all. I was given sedation but was awake the whole time. The numbing injections hurt more than anything else I experienced. The Doctor inserted 6 needles and then sent a mild pulsating charge through each needle asking where I felt the charge. If it was in the leg he moved it until I felt nothing or pain in the back. The nerves were then numbed so I felt nothing during the burning which lasted 2 minutes and done 1 needle at a time. Afterwards the recovery was easy and sent home a hour later. I felt no pain at all all last night. This mourning there is a VERY slight burning sensation at the site of the injections and no change in my symptoms. I have a follow up in two weeks. I will post updates as they happen.

• Glad things went well. I had RFA to my sacrum and L5 five days ago. The first several days were super. They injected cortisone at the end of the procedure so I had no pain for 2-3 days. Now I feel some of the old ache-like pain creeping back, however, I do not feel any of the deep excruciating nerve pain I had before the procedure. This is my third (and maybe last) RFA to this area as I have heard that they only do a maximum of 3 per area at my pain center. That said, I tend to get 12-18 months of relief from the really bad pain with each procedure. But I have never entirely gotten off pain meds and this is kind of a downer. Best wishes to you for an enjoyable and pain-free period of time!

Sincerely, Lisa
  • Glad to hear things went well for you! I had my 1st RFA 3 level on the left side 2 weeks ago and today is the first day my pain level is a consistent 3-4. My Dr. put me on a low dose Lyrica a week later due to increased pain level.
    I had a rough time during the procedure. Were you sedated? I go back in this Friday for the other side and hoping for an easier time.
    Keep us posted how you're doing!
  • Day three after the procedure and absolutely no change form before. No pain from the RFA and same back pain I have always had. It is like I had nothing done to my back.
  • It has been over 10 days since the procedure and I feel no difference what so ever. I think the RFA is a failure.
  • I had a follow up appt with the doctor yesterday. Since I have not felt any difference with the shots in the first two weeks, he said I should not expect any improvement from the procedure. At this point, he recommended the fusion. I have seen both a near surgeon and a oath surgeon and have not made my decision on who to go with and when to do it.
  • Laga,
    I've followed your story b/c i am considering thoracic RFA. See if you have a surgeon in your area who could do minimally invasive surgery before you let anyone put plates or screws into your back.
  • Laga,
    I've followed your story b/c i am considering thoracic RFA. See if you have a surgeon in your area who could do minimally invasive surgery before you let anyone put plates or screws into your back.
  • I have seen three doctors about my back. The first one was a minimally invasive surgeon. I have severe DDD in all lumbar discs which gives multiple problems. I do not believe his do a little now and see what happens approach will work. What ever I do will probably lead to more problems in the future. The doctor who did my RFA told me before that the RFA is almost a 50-50 crap shoot as far as success rates go. Good Luck to you If you decided to do one.
  • I just had RFA to 3 places on the left side of my neck today. I had a LOT of pain during the procedure so the Dr. kept upping the dose of lidocaine till I finally received 20cc. Afterwards I was unable to stand/walk because I was so dizzy. I also had severe shaking of entire upper body that lasted for almost 6 hrs. Now, 11 hrs later, the area around the uppermost injection site (approx. 6 in. round) is totally numb to the touch. Other then a sore neck ( with slight deeper pain) I have no other negative effects. is this common? did any of you?
    As to any warnings of pain... I had steroid injections into my disc space & medial branch block, they both hurt, but nothing like the RFA. My Dr. did not say it would hurt any worse then the MBB I had last month & he said that it should last 3-4 months up to a year.... lest just hope that my medication hell(5 narcs a day, on a pain free day) will be over. Next month I am scheduled for the exact same thing on the other side.