Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worried about numbness/tingling post op?

phenom34pphenom34 Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a second diskectomy of l5/s1 about a month ago. Due to a reherniated disk. I had some unique symptoms including genital numbness on one side along with the sciatica, foot tingling, etc.

My surgeon said he was very pleased with how it went and he doesn't think it will ever reherniate as long as I don't do anything crazy.

I am about 1 month post op and honestly my pain is virtually gone, sciatica 100%, lil back pain problems sitting extended, but its getting better and better.

I feel like the surgery made the tingling quite a bit worse in the genital area and toes, its very hard to ignore.

I just saw my surgeon and he told me the back/ sitting issue will go away completely. He said the tingling will go away 100% but it could take up to 3 years and he can't answer if lost sensation will return. He did listen to me and all but there's really only so much he can do and he believes the surgery went excellent.

It kind of scares me though, 3 years is a long time to deal with this, I am hoping it goes away at least a little bit. If it gets any worse, its going to really interfere with sexual function too.

I guess I am just lost, I don't know what to expect, what I can do, etc. I wonder if things will actually get better or if they are stuck worse...

Walking definitiely seems to make it diminish a bit so Ive been walking a mile or two here and there. I realize im only a month out and this can be a long process. Ive been taking motrin to help with inflammation which i believe is a factor, but thats all I can really do.

• dont really know how a certain patients will be {how could they?} the may be able to say that technically the surgey went ..text book,or not ! but like you i also have strange post op symptom like genital numbness {last operation was 2007}and i have been left with evil lower back pain and i now need ALIF surgey! back operations are risky and you just dont know what you will end up like ..from my point of view operations have made me worse and now its all about damage limitation and stying to stop the rot .my feeling are if i would had a top end consultant first time round things may have been different for me ??
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I had these symptoms as well before and after surgery.
    This is what my Dr told me. There was nerve damage done before surgery to that particular nerve. It can take a long time for it to heal if at all. He may have aggrevated it during surgery. I had the same symptons if not worse after surgery but it has slowly become less frequent. Instead of it happening once a week it only happens once a month.
    Just make sure to keep track on the frequency and keep your Dr posted.