Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Can Anyone Suggest Anything for Depression on top of Sciatica and leg pain

skully313sskully313 Posts: 10
I'm in severe pain from a auto accident which left me deteration of lower lumbar and neck gave me sciatica and severe leg pain on pain mostly the left side . I'm on Medications but still the pain is so bad my doctor is sending me another MRI any suggestions would be kindly appreciated plus im on prozac for dysthymic disorder (FORM OF LIFE LONG DEPRESSION) Prozac was upped from 20 mg to 40 mg it ai'nt working i cry alot from the pain plus i'm going thru the change of life i am 49 years old.I lost almost 100 pounds in 4 years after this accident. Was 6 months pregnant going round the block for mail didnt even have insurance on the explorer still had old owners plate on it.Hit by teenager going 75 miles an hour i was put into a huge postal truck, tore a fire hydrant off ad a front porch of a house. Any suggestions or replies much appreciated. Was Given Norco, Ms Contin Soma Neurotin, Mazside,-(Blood pressure med) and Prozac nothing is helping my pain and depression is worst.

• Sorry to hear what happened to you and you're having pain. I take Cymbalta for sciatica and back pain and it helps also for depression. I've also been on Wellbutrin for depression. I also took MS Contin and had to get it reassessed often due to pain. I was taking it 4x day and after 2 years was changed to Oxycontin. I hope you can get some relief. Heat/ice help also.

I hope you get your MRI and results back soon so your Dr. will have some treatment plan for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :))( Yeah i have the MRI at Basha next Wednesday. I allso contacted a different doctor Glenn Minister. My Dr now just give me mscontin30 mg 2x a day. He didnt have no shots for me dr helper said the shots batch was recalled. My brother came by with low dosage of lyrica it helped a little and the combo of the soma xxnax and lyrica and mscontin i was messed up i had t stay in bed i was woozy. I hear that the cymbalta might help 30mg he had a sample on the counter i took it but im researching cymbalta cause the Prozac sure aint working.Thanks Charry Sincerely Skully313
  • sent you some info on a device that may help via your PM service
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Glad you're getting an adjustment in your pain meds. Try to only start one new medication at a time if you can to see what relieves the pain. Hopefully your Dr. has ordered Lyrica for you rather than take another person's medication? Not understanding if your brother is a Dr. or if the Dr. prescribed Lyrica and your brother had them so you won't have to buy Lyrica? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sorry to hear your in such a bad way.Are you able to exercise at all.Can you do any streches.I suffer from extreme depression at times,even becoming suicidal,& I find when i slip back into the black hole,i normally have stopped my exercising.Even when i couldnt walk,i found doin some minor streches used to help my mind.
    Good luck to you.I take meds too,this is on top of that.Cheers Mike.
  • I'm in no way a medical professional, so I can only offer suggestions. I am very sorry that you are suffering two ailments at the same time. I have gone through the pain thing after my 3 surgeries last summer, which has produced positive results to the point where I am 75% better.

I noted that you stated that you do not have insurance, so I guess that counselling is out of the question? I do not know much about anti-depressants, so I am no help there. Sorry. As for your back pain, I am sure that if you can get some relief from that, you will feel better, both physically and mentally.

You really have not given a lot of information about your treatments and etc, so here is what I would suggest; START OVER. Get yourself the best neuro-surgeon in your area and tell him what is going on with you. Explain to him the severity of your problem(s) and try to make him understand that you are in a desperate need for relief.

Hopefully, you sued the crap out of the other driver and collected a bundle in addition to getting your medical paid, both present and future expenses. If so, loke I said, please check into getting some counselling and then see the best darned neuro-surgeon in your area, even of you need to travel an hour to get to him or her.

My wish for you is that you get some relief and needed help very soon.
  • However, I think everyone deals differently with drugs, and reacts in a different fashion. I found Cymbalta had few side effects, made me sleepy and I had some flushing but it really helped. I ordered it in Canada, where it is available generically. Talk with your doctor but it has been helpful for me.. and who isn't depressed in chronic pain? I like the dual impact of calming my leg spasms and depression relief.

All the best,