Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Couple of questions

babsohiobbabsohio Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all!
I just had PLIF of L5/S1 this past March 18th for unstable spondy and spine deformity. I am 3 months post-op and doing very well which I am so thankful for. My problem is that it seems that correcting my lumbar spine issue has made my cervical issues increase and get worse.

I have suffered from severe headaches stemming from my neck for many many years. Since my PLIF, they have gotten a lot worse and my neck hurts a lot more now also.

I went to the chiropractor and he did x-rays. He said my c2 was misaligned in the c1 area which is causing my headaches. He also noticed my c6 vertebrae was slipping which was causing my neck pain and he suspects is also causing my bilateral hand grip weakness and numbness issues.

My questions: If this comes to surgery and I need to get both areas repaired, do you think they would do both areas individually. Or do you think I would be fused from top to bottom and everything in between. How long has everyones actual surgery taken? How long were you in the hospital afterwards? I'm just trying to get a handle on this whole neck issue.

Thanks to everyone for the help! It is much appreciated.

• Babs,

Welcome to Spine Health! Glad to hear your back surgery is still a 'win-win', but sorry to hear your cervical is acting up.

As a rule, they won't fuse "good" levels unless there is an instability issue. You haven't mentioned that being a problem, so if surgery is on the table, it would probably just be the two areas you mention. I hope you have definite answers soon. Again, welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have some L5/S1 issues, so if you have insight as to what to try to relieve pain down the leg, I'd appreciate it.

I had a 4 level ACDF 6 weeks ago. The reason my surgeon did 4 is that C3-4 was really bad, and C5-6 and C6-7 were bad. Although C4-5 was only not good, he did all 4 because C4-5 would quickly deteriorate if the surrounding areas were addressed.

I am concerned about relying too heavily on a chiropractor. I used to go to a chiropractor who helped me, but because of other medical issues, I was advised not to go. I am thankful that a chiropractor was the first to recognize the severity of my neck issues and sent me for an MRI and to an ortho consult.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I didn't know I had a spine problem until this past winter and I am 43 years old. I took a nasty fall last Halloween. I developed sciatica down my right leg afterwards. After 2 horrible flare-ups, I had my MRI which revieled my problems. I have extreme lordosis. My s1 is virtually horizontal. My L5/S1 disc space is almost vertical and had unstable grade 1 spondy in it. The surgeon had a heck of time cleaning things out and using the right hardware. My L4/L5 is about halfway gone so I expect to have that worked on in a few years. I did manage to get rid of the sciatica from my right leg with PT and chiro adjustments. Before surgery I was starting to develop sciatica on my left side and that is where I have issues now but it is slowing clearing up also.

As for my neck. I see my neurosurgeon on Wednseday and I am hoping to discuss things with him. I am on the fence about chiro care for my neck. It has worked for my low back but the neck is such a touchy subject. I am getting scheduled for an EMG test for my hands. I am slowly getting there.