Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feels good to find a place where people understand chronic back pain

stonecold1robsstonecold1rob Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
Don't have much time, but couldn't sleep. but it feels greet to know I now have a place to come and chat about my back and pain. My girlfriend sure doesn't understand. like most people if your not gushing blood the must be nothing wrong with you.

Thank you for some hope.

• Welcome to our community, Rob, but sorry you had to find your way here. There's lots of fantastic people here to lend an ear when you need one, or to share experiences, or just to commiserate in the pain. You also might want to check out all the articles on the info side of the site, there's tons of great info and advice there too. Welcome to S-H!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Howdy Rob,

When you get a chance, please give us more details on what is going on - levels, surgeries, treatments thus far etc.

Our significant others don't always get it, that is a sad thing about spine issues, or chronic pain issues. Welcome to Spine Health! You've found a great place!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • we are a long time together group here group .but we always welcome genuine people .you will find the people on here and the moderators are excellent .there is plenty of info for you AND YOUR GIRLFRIEND let here have a read ..many people dont understand back pain ..because they cant see it ...have a read of a post called ..letter to a normal..{or something like that} and the spoons theory.they are both very good apologies of pain and how it effect someone .please feel free to shear with us your pain problems and we will try to help
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Welcome stone cold! I too just found this website and it is great to have people to talk to that have similar experiences. Sleep? What is that! :-)
    2003 car accident ( I was a pedestrian) 7 years of physical therapy,and pain management then 2010 had an l4/l5 fusion. The dr did some type of combined xlif/plif and severed my femoral nerve and severely damaged several others. taking percocet,oxycodone chase when real bad and Gabapentin (makes me have massive mood swings so I cannot take the proper dose)
  • Welcome aboard...........yep, I do believe many people who are not "Spineys" do not get it. Please do fill us in and this is certainly a great group of folks here! ;-)

• :SS Yep, just gottal love it! If I was bleeding to death, no one would sit and watch me vaccume, clean the house, do the dishes, and work 40 hours a week.

This is a great site. I have found out about new procedures, etc since coming here. You are not alone!

• Some back ground on me I am 46 and have had three back fusions with 4 pins 8 screws and one cage and the the bone grafs.... had mild relief for about 10 years with a sudden onset of pain.. I have now had two spinal steroid injections with mild relief lasting about a week or two and then back too a pain level of about 7. the Latest ct. show's a lot of arthititis ranging from just above L1 too below L5 with all the disc in the same regions bulging. I have been out of work due to the pain. And Sleep well what to say about that old friend..lol sure isn't like it used to be.Pain meds help but the Dr.are always afraid to prescribe to much.The last two months I have been given 60 10/325 percocet's each month 2 for every day and some times it isn't enough. But Life must go on.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. I am sorry that you ended up here :)

Most of us can relate to your issues. This is a great place to get support and ideas.

Are you in PM? The meds don't seem like very much. I joined PM roughly 7 months ago. They changed my meds quite a bit. I go in monthly to get my scripts filled and talk with my PM (which I love). My PCP gives me Ambien (not working as well any more), PM gives me a quick acting pain med, long acting pain med, and a muscle relaxer. My PM also did several SI's last year. I still see my NS every 2-4 months.

I have been using a 4" memory foam on top of my firm mattress since my first surgery. It makes a huge difference for me. Of course don't forget about the benefits of ice & heat. I also have a high quality tens unit that I use some times. Must not forget the Lidoderm patches (lidocane patches). I use these almost daily since my lumbar spine has been flared for the last 2 weeks.

Good luck,

• I know exactly what you mean. If you get breast cancer (example) and have surgery then you are a survivor!! People support you, wear t-shirts, by mugs and tell you how wonderful and strong you are. But with chronic back pain you are alone, no support, you are not a survivor and usually labeled either depressed, too fat, or lazy!, People say well if they just lost weight...or started exercising...then their pain would go away. Or if they do believe you have a medical back problem the solution is take another pain pill and finish your job! Take two if you have to! At least we can meet here with others who understand what we go through and our pain. Maybe we should make some t-shirts! Lol
  • I think your right on the t-shirt maybe it could bring some awareness to our cause... I think we or you because it was your idea should start taking suggestions on the the best idea the would bring the most awareness to the cause....

thank you,

• Welcome. You will find a lot of us with similar symptoms. I have had 3 fusions. Am now fused L1 to S1. Have had the steroid injections and the facet injections and the rhyzotomies and bone grafts and I have 2cages, 1 plate and one very large bolt. I was very active before which I think helped my recoveries and I am still trying to stay as active as I can.Its all relative. Keep us posted and good luck.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Amen sister ! As a retired nurse, I to have this problem ! No one else seems to live in my house ! At least do any house work ! And they get tired of hearing MY back hurts ! Well, I get tired of saying it ! I just retired last week. I said thats it, the hell with it. 54 and I'm out. That nursing will do it. Plus, back surgeries and car accidents don't help ! Good luck. Keep a stiff upper lip :}
This discussion has been closed.