Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oh my. I am so happy to have found you all.

Terri LynnTTerri Lynn Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone.

My name is Terri. I am 37 female. Before January 14th of this year I had never been in a car accident. On that day my then fiance and I were sideswiped by a dumptruck. We were in an old timey tank of a mercedes and so our bodies absorbed the shock. We did not go to the hospital, but I immediately began to feel my neck tense up. Within 3 days I ended up in a walk-in clinic screaming in pain.
Fast forward. My symptoms within 3 days of the wreck were: Shooting pain down the back of my arm into my elbow, an intense burning between my shoulder blades, pins and needles in my right hand, numbness in my right hand, my right hand would go cold while my left hand would go hot, headache on the right top of my head, mindblowing pain in my neck and shoulders..I was ordered an MRI. I don't have my paperwork in front of me and as result of my accident I have short term memory loss--however this is what it pretty much says--bulging disc C5-C6. A nerve is involved. I also cannot turn my neck past a certain point to the left. I have not driven a darn freakin car since that day.. Makes me so sad having to depend on my Husband.
So, I was ordered to try therapy and traction. (If I am not spelling correctly please forgive) After 2 months of traction the therapist accidentally set the traction machine to 14 pounds. I was taking 7-9 pounds 3x a week. I started screaming "You're killing me!!!" He promptly set it to 7-9 murmured that I would be "Ok" and walked out...My husband saw the entire event. He was having heat applied when he saw the pound # on the machine. Needless to say I do not do traction any longer.
My doctor referred me to a great Neurologist. She in turn referred me to a doctor that gives epidurals. I tried the shots two weeks ago this past Wednesday. The only good thing it accomplished is it rid me of most of my pins and needles affecting my right hand. I am now having muscle spasms more than ever. Yesterday I even had a spasm that travelled across the front of my neck! It brought me to my knees!!!! Has anyone ever experienced this? I will write more later--

Thanks for any comments...I appreciate the support and maybe I can help someone too...

• Welcome to spine health! Sorry that you are having pain, and for your terrible experience with traction.

Did your doctor give you any pain medication or muscle relaxers for your spasms?

Have you been to see a spine fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon? I would definately want a second opinion, especially with nerves involved.

Glad you joined us, look forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of informative articles and videos throughout this site and the members of the forum are very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

And to boot, most of us can understand what you're going through. I myself had severe cervical problems (at 3 levels, but from a car accident 20 year previous that had progressed over time) and also went through PT with traction, heat, etc. It didn't help.

Eventually, I sought out a fellowship-trained ortho surgeon who is fantastic and ended up with surgery. Like Karen, I suggest you find one, either neuro or ortho, but one you have complete confidence in. Even surgeons will try conservative measures before surgery if they feel it will help, but in my case it was too bad and my surgeon said surgery was the only option on our first visit. I had really known that in my mind, so it wasn't a huge surprise, but if you can find one, it may put your mind at rest to have someone who knows the spine and can more understand exactly what's happening.

Take care and keep us posted. We do understand here what you're going through and many of us neckies have had your symptoms, too - I did.

Feel free to PM me any time if you have questions or if I can help you in any way. I the meantime, keep on posting to get help from others here and find that spine surgeon that you feel comfortable with.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we are so glad you dropped by! you have been given some good advice and information already!! i am not famaliar with your symptoms but do know pain!! i am sorry you are hurting!! good luck on finding pain relief! stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • My gosh..I am so thankful for such nice people to reply to me. Also, I am going to take your advice about seeing a surgeon. The pain/spasms are beyond words. Yes, I am on several different meds right now.. one is (pardon spelling as I am in bed and don't have my medication bottles right now) Nerotonin. I am on 600mg 3x a day. Then for the pain it is Oxycodone 4.5 3x a day. Then there is my Zanaflex...gosh it puts me to sleep! I hate it..so difficult to take during the day for my spasms. The pain medication does nothing for this new, bone like pain. So I am sitting on a heating pad right now...ahhhhhhh. :-)
    I have had a new development. My right upper back/hip has recently been giving me trouble. Out of the darned blue too. A piercing, burning sensation that then travels down into my right buttock. Also the hip joint seems to be in on the action too. I am having a problem walking around without a limp. My doctor(s) are thinking I should have a new MRI. This time from the C1 all the way down to what is it..S?? Is it S after the L? I cannot remember. My short term memory is impacting my life tremendously.
    I continue my physical therapy (just the heat and massage-no traction) tomorrow. I had to take a break after the epidural. I ached all over after it and every back muscle had "balled up"
    So, am I on the right track here? Thank you all so much. It was just too nice of you all to take the time to reply to me..

Most sincerely, Terri
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm glad you're going to see a surgeon. The additional pain you're having may be just new symptoms from existing problems. Many of us will adjust our walking, for instance, when in pain and that will create a new pain of its own. So try not to worry until you get the results, from the doctor, of your MRI.

As for what's what, the cevical is the neck, C1-8, then thoracic, T1-12, then lumbar, L1-5, then sacrum, S1-5 (wow, didn't know there were that much to the sacrum), then the coccyx. That's the very, very last bone at the bottom of your spine. You can check out the dermatome map here to see this and check your radicular symptoms.

Take care,
  • Hello friends...

A few things have happened since I last posted. I hope my experiences can help someone. Two weeks ago I was walking around barefoot and both feet went numb. Suddenly I have sciatic out of nowehere. I am also having terribly painful muscle spasms all down my back. I am also still having the terribly painful headache that is like a hammer hitting my skull. The pain in always in the same place-everytime. The pain brings me to my knees. Also my right hand is losing its ability to hold onto things. Then the hand will feel "dead" along with the entire right arm. Anyway--long story cut short so I wont bore you all---my doctor has ordered me another MRI. (Remember I have had a C1-T1 MRI and C5/C6 is herniated.) This MRI will be the lower back naturally. I was also ordered a Brain MRI. He wants to check for MS. My bother has MS so this does make since. All of this was ordered Monday and is happening tomorrow. I will let you all know what comes of this...Take care. Terri
  • My MRI of my brain showed leisions..so I am now leaving this forum so I do not take up anymore space. I am swithing to a forum for ms. My C-5/C-6 bulge is not reason to keep posting here...Take care everyone..thank you to the folks that responded to me. I pray that everyone here finds relief. Good luck and God bless..Terri