Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Radiofrequency ablation

GypsylaineGGypsylaine Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Management
I had my right side RFA to L2-3-4 done yesterday. This time was much easier than the left side.
When they took me back and started the iv, I told them I was very worried about this time as I remember last time and it was terrible. The Dr. said she ordered a special cocktail so I would be more comfortable. It was 5/100...whatever that means.
I talked with them during the procedure and said ow just once. It wasn't terrible pain, it was very tolerable and they said that was the actual burning I was feeling. It didn't take long and I was back in my room. My back was achy and sore but nothing terrible.
I had an hour ride home so by the time I got home, the pain level had went up to about a 6.
I woke up this morning sore but again, nothing unbearable. Resting and icing and feeling ok.
Very happy with this time around...we'll see what happens!

• I wonder what they gave you the first time in your IV? I can't imagine any doctors doing RF without twilight sedation; 5/100 probably is Versed 5mg and Fentanyl 100mcg. You can actually check get a copy of your records and see what the difference was in sedation.
    Hope the procedure works for you!
  • I don't know how much they gave me last time but I know it was versed and Fentanyl. Afterwards, the doc had told me she had to give me quite a bit more Fentanyl than they give most patients due to my increased pain level. I was told that the amount of inflammation made it very painful, so maybe not as much inflammation on my right side?
    I wondered if the 5/100 was versed/Fentanyl but wasn't sure.
    My left side is actually giving me more trouble still 2 weeks later than my right side.
    Keeping my fingers crossed it works!
  • Day 2 after my RFA to the right side and I'm a bit sore today. I think I overdid yesterday with doing a load of laundry, sweeping and standing while cooking dinner (something I've had a hard time doing for the last several years).
    So far so good, the pain isn't terrible but definitely there.
    Happy Father's day to all the dad's and mom's who fill that role as well!
  • Glad this time around seems to be better. They always shoot me up with cortisone at the end of the procedure so that, before the nerves are effectively blocked from sending a pain signal to the brain, the pain is not too bad. Did you get any cortisone to make the recovery easier?
  • I'm not sure if they gave me any cortisone, I didn't even think to ask and they never told me.
    Day 4 and I had to take vicodin today. There are times that I feel like a sharp pain if I bend too far or turn wrong but today it was just hurting! Of course after taking the Vicodin, I went and over did it tonight by cleaning, nothing real big but enough to aggravate it more.
    However, I do have to say that the pain I'm having now is different than before the procedure. It's more the sharp pain compared to before when it was the constant burning and severe pain...anything is better than that!
  • It's been a week since my right side RFA. The pain I'm having is completely different than I was having before and not as severe. The Dr. told me this is not a cure all, it is simply to be able to make daily living a little easier, which it is definately doing.
    I still think I'm hurting from my cleaning episode the other day. Although my right side isn't causing me as much pain as my left side is. I now also seem to have developed pain in my left hip, which I didn't have before...something new or caused from the RFA? Not sure. Don't get me wrong, this is 75% better than it was so I can honestly say that as of right now, I'm happy I went ahead and got this done.
  • It's been a month since my left side RFA and 2 1/2 weeks since my right side. I have to say I'm feeling good...not Great, but I'll take good for now. My right side is about a constant 1-2 which is awesome! My left side, the one that gave me the most problems, is anywhere from about a 4 up to an 8.
    It is much easier to do things, although I do have a problem with overdoing things, as I'm sure we all do, when I'm feeling good only to pay for it later. Went shopping, something I normally cannot do, and thought I would attempt to walk without the cart as support. I was good for about 20 minutes, which was HUGE for me, before needing the support.
    Although I do feel much better than I did a month ago, I sure wish the left side would have turned out as well as the right side has...but I'll take each day as it comes and be thankful for the pain relief I am getting now!
  • So glad to hear it worked for you. My first RFA didn't work, but I am trying again, with another doctor that my physical therapist said is way more experienced. He did explain to me that they really can't see the nerve, it is pretty much guess work!