Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware--what's in there??

outofcontrolooutofcontrol Posts: 264
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What does everyone have as far as hardware after their fusion?

All I have is cages and screws. My PM doc said he has never seen anything like it before!

He said the screws are at odd angles, and that there should be a plate or rod to hold the area together.

I have to admit that this comment has me a little freaked out!

This all came about a few weeks ago. I went in for facet joint injections, and was on the table under the C-arm xray equipment. There was a conversation regarding the appearance of the fusion between the xray tech, the doc and the other members of the treatment team. I had not yet been sedated (not sure if they were aware of that fact) and when a question was asked about when the fusion was done, I answered........ That is the last thing I remember until I woke up in recovery.

At my last PM appt., my doctor discussed the situation with me and my husband.

I appreciate any information anyone can provide!!

• I've had similar comments made about my ALIF. Scary, I know how you feel! I too freaked out the first couple of times my hardware & angle were frowned on.
    I have 3 screws, lordotic wedge, & peek cage with autograft & bmp. Original OR plan called for anterior plate. NS opted not to add it inter-operatively. I now have stability issues & non union & facing a posterior fusion to stabilize.
    Now, IF your fusion is stable you should be ok without the rods or plate. Are you fused? Are the screws holding & doing their job?
    Seeing your having injections I assume you are having pain issues, is at the index level or a different level?
    What type of fusion did you have & when? Also, some docs are just used to seeing the "gold standard" type of fixation devices, screws, rods and or plate. There are lots of other ways to do a fusion these days, new technology, newer fixation devices and such.
    Wow, sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand your situation better.

take care!

• If you are fully fused, it doesn't really matter, because you are solid now anyway.

I had a peek cage, titanium screws and rods with my own bone, removed during the laminectomy, as a graft.

• Hello!

With all the work I have had done (and will have more done), I have titanium screws and rods and plates.

• I am pretty sure it is fully fused.

I think the concern is more with the use of just screws and cages, especially because of the angles of the screws. I had foot drop immediately post op, and it never resolved. The pain continues at the hardware level (L5-S1) and the compressed level above it.

I had an ALIF in 2008.

My NS is no longer practicing in this area.