Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

funny stories

busdriverdavidbbusdriverdavid Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hello everyone,
I know that our condition are far from humorous but laughter is also a key to healing and over all good health. I wanted to use this link to poke fun at myself and share story or two of activities that I took for granted and so simple that are now near impossible, that you just have to laugh.
I have a very large L5/S1 disc bulge crushing my nerve root which leaves me with a great deal of pain, drop foot, weakness and numbness in my left leg that leaves me unable to walk without walker, cane or shopping cart and anytime on my feet is very short lived.
I am one of the fortunate few who have no family and some fair weather friends that are no help when it comes to anykind of ADL assistance. We all need things to get by and food and need to go to the grocery store is one and after eating everything in the house I brace myself for a trip to the store. Through past trial and error I have learned a few tricks, one is do not go at prime time, very early in morning or late to rule out check out wait and getting around those folks who love to visit with someone in the middle of isle. Smaller the store the better, if your going to Walmart you are better off then most of us. Parking I try to get as close to shopping carts, this may require circling lots several times.
As for me, after parking, I hang onto my car door ,bumper and etc. until I take a couple very unnatural step and latch onto a shopping cart, now this takes some of the weight off my nerve root and my walking becomes some normal but am in a lot of pain and start to break out in a sweat. Now at this point a grocery list is broken down into two colms. Absolutely need and wouldn't it be nice. As I head to back of the store grab some milk, bread and eggs I am already exhausted and limping badly, time has run out for me and can pick one isle for return trip to check out. I find soup isle is often my hurried choice, as I cringe with every step I am throwing things into my basket with out much thought. So when I get home and after several trips from car to houseloading basket on my walker, I look over what I have bought in such a hurry sometimes a surprise

• Well, not all that funny – it sucks doesn’t it… I’m with you, not much help available and it makes life rough sometimes. I can only have my son do so much, the kids got a life too… I have often thought that someone should start some type of business where they run errands of every kind imaginable for peeps like us. I personally think they could make a killing… I know there are many times things as simple as dropping my bestest little buddy (my shitzu) off at the groomer and going to pick him up a few hours later would be a great help. The grocery store thing would also be great! There are so many things that are such a pain in the butt that normal peeps take for granted. I do way too much for my condition, but then I don’t have options – it’s gotta be done ya know. If I were a smart girl, I would get rid of my pets out in the pasture that require a certain amount of upkeep, grooming, going to get grain, hay, etc., but they are such a big part of my life I just couldn’t stand it. What good is it too feel better only to be miserable and sad because there is no companionship of any kind. A question I often ask myself – which would be better/worse. I feel we already give up so much of life that there has got to be limits! Next time you go to the store, go to the meat aisle and I’ll hook you up with some amazing and easy (takes 5 minute prep) and delicious recipes. Especially roasts or whole chickens, stuff like that. Even a pack of chicken thighs can be turned into a masterpiece. I’m also a great chef, something I totally adore but find myself doing these easier things more often than not anymore. It just sucks… Take care and keep your humor. Sometimes that is all we have. Marion
  • Mouse, check with the office of aging or disability. Back when my mom had her own apt. there was a lady that had a business (with checkable references of course) that did exactly what you're talking about. She took moms' kitties to the vet, picked up small grocery amounts, ran errands, dropped off and picked up laundry from the laundrymat that did laundry for a price, picked up dry cleaning, etc.

Also check pages aimed at the aged or disabled as it's usually marketed towards them. It might be just what you need to get the stuff you Need done, done so you can do some of what you want to.

(what about 4H volunteer kids to help with the horses? Do they have credit or volunteer hour requirements for the kids?) You might be able to find someone that can or will do it for a reasonable amount if the kids don't do that there.

Good luck! I'm with you. It's no use having a little less pain if you're miserable without the pet-friends that make life better.