Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Give up?

plarn1pplarn1 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,
I am starting to think I am crazy! I am 60, and have always led an active lifestyle up until my injury. I was hurt lifting in 2001, was misdiagnosed for 3 months and fought my way into a neurosurgeon which resulted in an immediate c6-7 fusion, donor graft and plate, and was told they had to pick disc fragments out of my spinal cord sheath. Surgery was a piece of cake and I was overjoyed with initial symptoms relieved for the most part except for residual numbness in one finger. Problems started several days later with severe muscle spasm in my neck, shoulders and upper back, and headaches, all of which have continued to this day. My initial pain was my(L)arm which still flares at times, but for the last year most is right arm, neck, and hand burning. I have been through work hardening, PT, injections (which are the only treatment that helped the pain short term), MRI's etc, etc. I have been prescribed vicodin, fentanyl patch, muscle relaxants- all of which I have fought the use of and told my MD that I wish to wean off of, I do not feel like long term narcotics are an option for me. I am also on 3600mg gabapentin, Baclofen 10mg 3x/day, and zoloft 200 mg. I have decided no more needles, narcotics or tests, I need to take over my care. I have worked at different jobs up until a year ago, and finally gave up and am now on disability. I spend most of my time laying in bed to support my neck watching tv- not good- right? I requested my neurologist send me to an aggressive period of PT (one last time- and new clinic) to see if they could help with the the huge knots in my shoulders and back. This physical therapist is the first one that really even palpated my baseball sized knots and has been working to knead them out plus given me exercises which are helping.
I have never joined a forum before, and am sorry this is so lengthy, but I just found this site and feel like I am losing the rest of my life to depression and re-runs :|
Has anyone out there had problems this long following an anterior cervical surgery?
Thanks for listening,

• Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here, but sorry that you need to be. You have had cervical pain for such a long time :( . I am glad that you have found a PT that has been able to work on some trouble spots for you.

My troubles are in the lumbar area, but I am sure some members will be around that can help you with your question.

This is a great place to come when you are feeling down, depressed , or in pain. Lots of support!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Patti, welcome to the forums. I have had many issues both in lumbar and cervical. I am wondering, have you had more recent imaging done? I can't help but wonder.....since your 2001 surgery, perhaps your C5-C6 is now giving you trouble or maybe C7-T1? Sometimes the adjacent discs cause issues after time like a domino effect. Just makes me wonder......maybe try a different surgeon, either ortho or a different neuro?

• Glad you joined, there is a great deal of support here and good people. All I can say is I know exactly where you are and how you feel and I search for a way out everyday. I need pain meds but I feel they contribute to my depression. If I cut back the pain rages so it's a no win at this point.

Also in someways I feel guilty like a let myself and others down because I can't find a way to do better. We must continue looking and trying though.

Hope thing improve for you very soon.

AL S
  • Welcome to the group. What you describe is very common. All the muscles in your back and shoulder had to take over after your surgery. I did PT before my surgery to try to get prepared but still had significant weakness and pain.. a year and a half later I am still a mess.

If you haven't had post op imaging recently it would probably be a good thing to ask about. Stuff does happen. In my case the osteophytes grew back within a few months so I was back to square one plus had significant surgery complications.

Once you have ruled out mechanical problems a good round of PT would be a great idea. Make sure you have the right therapist, one who isn't afraid to dig in to get those knots moving. But remember that this isn't fun or easy and you will probably need maintanence the rest of your life.

Good Luck...can't wait to hear what happens.
  • Welcome. I am glad I found this group. I'm 52 and have recently been approved for SDI. After being so active and career focused it was very tough to admit I couldn't do it any more. It's funny - I've been having discussions with my doctors that I wonder if I need all the meds or have the right ones. Every doctor attributes your issues to something within their specialty. I see you're taking Zoloft. I am very sensitive to certain meds. and felt worse on higher doses of Zoloft (as well as other meds).

You are not alone. Walking is healthy exercise if you can do it. I try to do some every day, whether it's around the block or in the grocery store.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.