Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Mom

dstevensbobddstevensbob Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My 81 year old Mother just found out from an MRI that she has a fractured bone in her neck - they told her it was an old fracture and she is going tomorrow for a CAT scan.

She fell and broke her pelvis about 8 months ago but has been complaining of neck pain into her ear for about a month now. Anyone know what is done for elderly patients?

• Can someone help me understand these results?

1. No evidence of fracture, with attention to the odontoid proces.
    2. Makedly severe degenerative changes involving the right lateral aspect of the atloantoaxial joint, with obliteration of the jont space, including between the dens and the right lateral mass, and associated with bony sclerosis and numberous degenerative cysts.
    3. Moderate and severe degenerative changes involving the atlantooccipital joins and upper cervical facet joints.

• HI,
    I think they're telling you of the basic condition of her neck, which shows degeneration. My mom is 97, and has a pinched nerve that bothers her all the time...but at her age, there is no surgery to be done.. She uses ice, heat, and just tries to not aggravate it by head positioning. At 81, anesthesia is just not safe...Hope you can find more info that helps!
  • My mom had a fractured vertebra in her lower spine, and they injected cement into it.
    I forgot the name of the procedure.
    She is 83.