Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chemical sciatica HELP!

drkddrk Posts: 9
Hi! I am need of some help. I am a 34 year old mother of two girls. I have two bulging discs that have been causing me a lot of pain since January. the one that causes the most pain is in the l4-l5 area. Well, about 6 weeks ago I started having leg pain in both legs. In the beginning, it was more intermitent and was not constant pain. Now it has progressed to constant pain. My ortho doctor said i may have a disc tear in one of my discs. I some disc pain, but it has gotten better since I injured it. My thighs are burning a lot. Sitting will aggravated it. When I lay on my stomach helps with the burning. I am taking neurotin to help the nreve pain, but it doesn't get rid of it all. My ortho doesn't think I have compression either. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice. I am very scared and not sure if this leg pain/burning will resolve itself or not? I have a mri tomorrow and hoping for some answers, but if it is all chemical I am not sure what will be found. Thanks a lot for any help.

• Hi, at this point my best suggestion is to try to stay calm and wait for the MRI results which should tell you wether its spinal or nueropathy. Nueropathy usually will improve with medications and flair up from time to time.

Just try to be patient so you know what's really happening as knowing always helps.

AL S
  • Thanks Al! My doctor called today and said I have a large central disc protrusion in the l3-l4 area. He want me to see a neurosurgeon so she can read the mri and see how it is affecting my back and legs. So, more waiting...You are right about calming down and waiting. That is so my personality. Thanks for the support. Do you have nueropathy from a spinal condition or diabetes? You will be in my prayers tonight:) DK
  • hey there,

Glad the doctor called you back. The neurosurgeon may want to run additional tests so don't be alarmed but they can have a sense of what might be happening from the MRI.

I have leg pain (back of leg and foot) from nerve problems at L5S1. I find that the bad flare ups are if I sit too long, don't walk enough (I try to walk at least 20 mins a day), or when the weather is changing (yes, I can always tell when a weather front is coming through).

Just curious, are you taking any anti-inflammatories like motrin or advil? Have you tried icing your lower back for 10 mins a few times a day and if so, do you find that it helps at all?

Did you try anything before going on neurontin to reduce any inflammation that the disc may be creating/putting on the nerves?

These are just a few questions for when you meet with the doctor again. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Hi DNice, Yes, I am currently taking Celebrex for the imflammation. It helps some, but not with the burning symptoms. I do ice sometimes. I wish my leg pains would come and go. they are constant. I was thinking maybe my mri would show a annular tear because of my leg pains. I know sometimes your discs can leak imflammatory substances that imflame your nerves. I wonder if this could be the case? I don't have any numbness, but I do get some tingling in my toes off and on. Can you have impingement without numbness? Are you going to have to have surgery on your compressive nerves?
  • Danielle,

Yes you can have have the nerve being compressed without numbness. There are a variety of symptoms when your sciatic nerve is involved.

The thing is, MRI's don't always show obvious issues. Even the ones that do show what might be 'obvious' issues don't tell the entire picture. There are many that could have an 'ugly' MRI but no symptoms. So just goes to show, nerves are quite quirkly.

There are other tests they can do to see what 'level' of your spine might be causing the pain. I think they are called a discogram or mylegram. They are controversial b/c some believe they can do more damage to the disc. I've also heard they are quite painful. But, they can help identify what level the pain is coming from.

Anyhow, I was wondering if they put you on steroids (medrol pak or prednisone) which you can only be on for a short time (I think) to help accelerate reducing inflammation.

I wish I could offer more advice but nerves are like electrical systems that can short circuit under certain situations (maybe it's hot or you've overdone it) and then seem fine other days when the conditions are different.

See what the doctor says.

Just because the MRI doesn't show anything definitive, it doesn't mean you don't hurt. It's just a matter of figuring out why you hurt.
  • I am a nonnative speaker but I had smh called a selective nerve block which is smh ur NS HAS to do if in doubt . That or discography. I can tell u firsthand , panwise it was ok. Pain meds don't always do the trick,, smt surgery is required. Good luck.