Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what is going on in this world?

stonecold1robsstonecold1rob Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Management
About ten months ago I started getting sever back pain again. I have had 3 back fusions. Stopped working and finaly went to see my DR. She sent me to a neurologist he did the same old test like ten years ago when I had all the surgeries. ct scans ect. he put me on tramadol and a drug they used to give for siezures. didn't improve still couldn.t sleep more then a couple hours, life sucked. Test came back bulging disk abouve first fusion L1 L2 and all disk bulging in between second fusion L4 L5 and bulging disk below with arthritis in my back. The neurologist says there isn't much I can do for you except try the epidural shots. Ok so I go back to my Dr. and said whats going on here still can.t sleep, still can.t work. So she gives me 60 vicodone and wants me to see a rheumatologist great after months of suffering some relief. the vicodone helped some but not a whole lot I could at least sleep 4 hours a night.
Went to see rheumatologist he looked at the test took some more exrays said yes arthritis in my back and hips asked my what I was on and I told him vicodone but that it wasn't helping much he said I can help with that gave me perocet 10/325. 2 a day It help pretty good not perfect but ok it helped. He then sent me to a pain management specailist for the epidural shots. Met with the Dr. the next day they had me in for the first shot about a week and a half later felt good not perfect but good. Mean time kept up with the percocet second month on them. Ok between the shots and meds life is getting better went for second shot. Now things change, feeling good for a couple days figure ok great start having a life again start cleaning the house, doing dishes, laundry and cutting the grass. Opps stop Now things change back to square one pain level is back to a 7 can't sleep ect.WOW mean while have about 3 days left of second month of percocet. So I call the Pain management clinic first day no call back, so I go see the rheumatologist tell him he says well your seing the pain Dr. you have to get you pain meds from him. OK. So the second day I call the pain clinic and by 3:00 pm no call back so I call back and he has left for the day now I am hurting pretty good still trying to keep up with the house work and sleeping about four hours a night again. The nurse says I'll see to it my self tomarrow that he gets your message. OK tomarrow comes and she calls me and says you'll have to be seen to get your pain medication. Great when can I come in. She says our patients have to make their appoitments a month in advance for there pain meds. Now this is getting just plain ridiculous. after telling her look I am out and I hurt she says ok I squeeze you in on friday. So here I am I went to bed at ten woke at 1:27 and I want to scream pain level is a good 8 and it's Wednsday night. It.s funny how it took one day to get an appointment for the epidural but should take a month for a appointment to get pain medication .

• Sorry about the Spelling And Grammar in a lot of pain it's late. Lights are out not to wake the kids.
  • HI,
    You are doing too much!!! It's important to try to get back to "normal" and start doing things...but you must do things more slowly and relax in between! Mowing the lawn is more strenous than you think...I haven't been able to do that or weed whack in 2 years now... I've had 3 lumbar diskectomies, and just redid a front and back cervical fusion 6 weeks ago. Unless I use short strokes, I am in pain from sweeping the kitchen floor!
    You need to take time to figure out what works for you and what doesn't...a little at a time with a rest in between! I re-did the wallpaper in my kitchen, before the last fusion, and I could only do 2 strips a day, but after 2 weeks, it was done! I hate to do things so slowly, or sometimes not at all, but it's the way things are, and I'm thankful for being able to do it at all! Have your pain people teach you bio-feedback...it helps, but you have to take the time to learn it and have the time to do it, to have it help you. Also, check your body positioning...when you're up and about, and when you lay down..find that pain free zone..
    Hope you feel better soon...
  • Thank you Frannie.
    I did think about that after but it was to late. it's so hard to just sit and slow down.three children 15,13,and 11 doesn't help. or should I say they don't help. Maybe it's time to have the children pick up some of the slack. my girlfriend works full time and me at home makes it tough. But you are right I need to relize my back is not what it once was. and it is now a fact of life. you know I was so upset when I wrote that. but just your letter made me feel a little better.

• HI,
    Glad my little piece of advice made sense to you...It's hard, I know... Being home sucks anyway but with 3 kids around, you have available help! It wouldn't hurt them to help a bit....sweep the floor, start the laundry, move to dryer, and fold when done. They will have to learn these tasks when they're on their own anyway! And I'm sure they could handle the vacuum too! Maybe if you suggested it in a way that made them realize they live there, and can help out too, things may work ok....All kids are different, but I'd give it a try! Shouldn't be left to your girl friend when she gets home! Share the work! Good Luck!
  • Rob,
    I'm so sorry to hear you're in so much pain and with no pain reliever left!
    What works for me is laying with a pillow under my knees on my back or on my side with a pillow between my knees...and of course icing it!
    Laundry can be really hard on the back too. I have had my kids sort, put in washer and dryer and then carry up the dry clothes for me to fold.
    There's many household chores that I physically cannot do due to my back issues so I need to rely on my hubby and kids to help out. Sometimes I don't get the help or feel bad that they have to carry the slack but I do it, I end up in worse shape and then I'm no help to anyone!
    Relax and ice and feel better!
  • Bummer that things have through. Unbelievable actually. Unfortunately we all have to realize that nothing will ever be the same again and that is the hardest part for me. I have to let go of some things as there is no way I can "'do it all: anymore. Take a step back and look at what is really important and what you can let slide or delegate. Good luck!!

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I have had four spine surgeries and my last one was 2001 and I swore I would never have another. Has anyone else ever felt this way. As there is talk of another at the T12 area. Some times I ask my self am I up to another do I want to suffer through another. Just wondering what others have thought. when do you say enough is enough. If I was to do it. I would have to get healthy in other ways first after some test were done this time and some heart and kindney problems showed up all a result of very high blood pressure. These have to be taken care before I could ever think of another but I still wonder is it worth it?
  • Yes, after 3 lumbar surgeries and some cervical fusions, mixed in with other interesting body part failures, I also wonder when enough is enough...If you have to deal with heart and high blood pressure problems too, this may really get overwhelming...It's just my husband and I, (2nd marriage for both of us) and if I can't function, what would I do? What would he do? Got SSD, so that is helping, but it's certainly not enough..but my body is not reliable anymore so finding a job in this lousy economy is not really in the plan... I just keep doing what I need to do to keep going, even if the pace is much slower now.. Would another surgery be worth it? Depends on how bad it is, and what the surgery would do for it... I know I've had it with surgeries, but it's the only option sometimes... Try to get your other health issues under control, and then see how things go...Tough decision, to be sure... Good luck!