Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain after assembling a tramp

snookiessnookie Posts: 359
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
So last weekend I assambeled a trampoline by myself, I know stupid. however Father's Day is so hard for my boys, their dad killed himself a year and a half ago, so I wanted to give them something to take their minds off it.

By the end of the weekend my neck started to hurt so bad I was concidering going to the ER. When I felt my neck there was a lump, like a knot, and I thought I was having problems with the muscles. I thought that it would go away, I streached massaged, and put on creams.

I made it thru unil yesterday when I talked to my friend, and she lifted my hair. I have a bite on the back of my neck, at the base of my skull, to the left of my spine. I can barely turn my head. I had my co-worker look, he is the outdoor type, and he said it was a spider bite. Talking to people, it was probably a black widow, sucks eh? If it doesn't feel better tomorrow I am going to go see the Dr.

Anyways, I just needed to vent. All of my previous pain was nerve pain below the waist, it is so hard, painful, etc when twist I spine at all. I'm not sure which is worse, the neck or the back.

At any rate, I have a new sense of understanding.

I had no idea a spider could cause so much pain!

• Snookie,

I sent you a PM... Black Widow bites in the 'general body' do affect the nervous system, and if your "bump" on your neck *is* from a Black Widow, or maybe even a Brown Recluse, you don't want to play with that.

I was bitten on my arm years ago by a Brown Recluse, and it wasn't 8 or so hours and I thought I had the flu from hell, and every joint ached...I started developing necrosis on my arm as well. They caught it early, but they had to cut that crap out of my arm twice in a week, and then again a few months later! As soon as I saw the black crap on my arm, I went to the ER - that is when they told me what bit me.

You really need to keep an eye on yourself and that bite. I guess from my bite, I am a bit more sensitive and nervous about those critters and their venom! Please look over the link I sent you - I wish I had seen it before I got bit. I hope you luck out and that was not (Black Widow) what bit you.

Please let us know how it goes. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Snook, that's awful!!! I hope that you've gone to get it checked out, even if it means a trip to the ER. Let us know what's going on!! I hope that you're okay!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Tried the ER, the nurse was turning everyone away unless it was a suspected stroke or heart attack. Crazy eh? It is not the first time I've seen that, a few years ago I was waiting for 6 hours when the nurse came out and told everyone that they might as well go home, no one was going to get seen. There was even a kid there that had a broken arm, his mom was a paramedic and saw the xray, and they just sent the kid home. I'm glad she at least said it right away instead of sitting there waiting and then getting sent away. I will try again tomorrow, there might be a walk in clinic that is open as well. They have strange hours, never seem to be open when I think they should.

I know what I am saying maybe hard to beleive for some, however where I live 1/3 of paitents don't have a family Dr, and I live in a community that has a large population of seniors, and there is only 1 Dr that works the ER. The city I live in isn't that small, 60,000 people and it also serves a lot of the smaller areas around. And we don't have the best Dr's, the good ones tend to go to the bigger centers.

9 years ago, after had surgery my lymph nodes swelled up so badly I could barely move, I went to the ER (it was the weekend) and they told they that they could do nothing, told me to go and see my Dr on Monday. Monday rolls around, I was in the hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics and morphine. I had to go straight from the Dr's office to the hospital. That made me loose a lot of my faith in the ER.

Rant over. Thanks!
  • Snookie,

Sorry to hear your ER is like that. I know with us in South Florida, we have a lot of illegal immigrants, and a lot of them use to use the ER like their health clinic! That gummed things up. The hospitals have clamped down on that crap, and waiting times have gotten better.

More important and to the point, what does that bite look like now? Necrosis of some sort should be evident now if it was a Black Widow or Recluse. Given what happened at the ER, I will keep you in my thoughts that a 'garden variety' spider bit you, and you'll be fine.

• Wow, isn't that what triage is for? Brutal. Can you make a trip to Calgary or something?
  • Calgary is 3 hours away, and I can't drive that far. The bite still looks like a bulls eye, red in the middle, red outside (according to my kids) so I hope it was a garden variety spider. I still can't believe how much it hurts, I still can't turn my head.
  • I can just imagine!! I got a spider bite when I was a kid, right above my eye, got teased horribly because I had to wear a "pirate" patch, lol. I remember how much it hurt though!
  • Snookie,

You're more than 24 hours from the bite now right? If it doesn't start turning black (in the center first usually at the bite location) by morning, a garden variety might be the culprit! Still hoping - still can't believe the ER turned you away without even looking at it...wow.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    How are you doing? .... just wanted to get an update.
    Are you doing better or badder?

I will try to contact you tonight if I don't hear from you via the normal channels.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Bullseye? Think Lyme but hopefully it's not that. Get a blood test for Lyme disease you may have been bitten by a tick. Especially out where you are. Get someone to take a photo of your neck and Bullseye for Dr. reference. I hope it isn't and nothing major like a spider bite. I didn't even know we had black widow in Canada but not where I am in Toronto.

Put antiseptic and antibiotic cream and ice it. It's awful about your ER services there and hope you get in to see your Dr. tomorrow. You also need to make sure your Tetanus shot is up to date within the last 10 years. You have to make sure you're not getting an abscess in the wound but he may have bit you right on the muscle or hit a nerve and hopefully it's short lived for you. Saying a prayer for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks everyone. Charry, I didn't even think about a tick, do those hurt a lot? I have an appointment for Wednesday morning, that was the soonest that I can get in. I didn't think of the tetanus shot either, I'm overdue for that. I really hope that this is short lived, it's been just over a week and it is driving me crazy.
  • Good luck at the doc's Megan, hope they have something that can help!! Let us know how it goes.
  • Saw the Dr today, he wasn't a lot of help. Said that my lymph nodes were swollen, said to take advil, and if I wanted to go for massage, and PT. Right now the last thing I want is someone pushing on my neck, maybe when the lymph nodes settle down.

He did say that it was not a tick, since it didn't get black in the middle and my lymph nodes are olny swollen in my neck.

Can lymph nodes put pressure on nerves? I had no idea that they are also on the back of the neck. This feels like it is nerve and muscle pain, I sure hope it goes away soon!!

• wow Megan, sorry you didn't get any answers today. Hope you're feeling better though!!
  • "Two" bite marks (to me) ruled out a tick, plus ticks usually stay on the skin and eat to their hearts content! (G)

Lymph nodes. I know they are all over the place, and for sure in the neck, but can they affect nerves? I guess little ones as our nerves are networked throughout our bodies. Hopefully the medication helps and the swelling comes down.

Glad to hear the bite was not from a poisoness insect or spider.

This discussion has been closed.