Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

27/f Pain Medication Frustrations

lilial27llilial27 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi.. This is my first post, so please.. bear with me. I've been doing as much research as possible on the webpage and various other sites as well. I've been experiencing very frustrating lower back pain for several months now and feel like I am hitting a wall. I don't have medical insurance through my employer and my income limits me from getting a lot of the help I need. I've really neglected my lower back pain up until now but it's become unbearable. It hurts to walk, it hurts to sit, I can't sleep..

I've spent time in the ER and had my back x-rayed but with no real results. I have an appointment at a community clinic next week and am hoping to make a little progress.. guess we'll see.
My biggest question/frustration right now though is dealing with the intensity of lower back pain. Taking tylenol or ibuprofin does nearly nothing for me.. I was prescribed vicodin and a muscle relaxer after my ER visit and neither seemed to help much either. For some reason my body seems/has always been resistant to medication and pain medication. Would tramadol or some other medication be worth asking about .. I'm not so sure. Also if I tell a doctor that vicodin/the muscle relaxers aren't helping with how extreme my pain is - will they even do anything for me/take me seriously?
I have no definitive diagnosis yet and so I just feel hopeless.
Sorry for babbling.. Thanks for listening

• Welcome to Spine Health.

One thing that helps me is ice. I have those 4" X 9" gel packs and I will put them in a thin t-shirt and then wrap them tight against my lower back with a big bath towel. It helps with the back pain some and allows the Tylenol to work better.

When it comes to discussing pain meds with any doc, the best thing is to be honest. Tell them what works and what doesn't work. Tell them what dosage you were on and let the doc make suggestions as to what to try next. If you ask about any specific med, it will send up the wrong signal. I usually say something like "is there something different you would recommend that I try?" and then let the doc remain in control.

Let us know how your appointment goes.

This discussion has been closed.