Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glucosamine/ Chondroitin MSM

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Medications
I have been getting a stabbing pain in my left(affected sciatica leg) front of hip today like a boring pain and feels like someone attempting school shop with woodwork drill in my hip and also had the same pain in my right ankle yesterday. I've been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM for 8 months and haven't had any for about a week since I asked my husband to get them for me and he hasn't and wonder if these meds may have helped with this pain?

Anyone take these meds for arthritic pain or noticed a difference being without them? I have to remind him if he'll get those meds for me. He's not all that supportive especially about taking "too many" pills. Thanks. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    with my arthritis situation using Glucosamine/Chondroitin. But I think I notice even more when I have not used that in a while.

I've read some studies that say that this mixture is not what is what hyped up to be, but I know all of my doctors have told me that it can help and there is no reason not to take it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've had quite a few people tell me that they swear by it, after taking it for months, then stopping and having the pain come back, seemingly with a vengeance. Weird, how when we've had relief for a while, when it comes back it seems worse, eh? Anyways, I was taking it for about 4 months, ran out, and didn't really see a difference. At the time I wondered if I hadn't taken it long enough to have got the full effect from it? Because the people who I had talked to about it, were so enthusiastic. My aunt, who ended up with both knees and 1 hip replaced, was one of them, pre-surgeries.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I took several different brands trying to find one that would work. Had Rheumatologist and ortho tell me to take it, I did thinking it couldn't hurt. The only thing it did was lighten my wallet. I ended up with 5 knee surgeries over the past 2 years, 1 on my left knee and 4 on my right ending with a partial replacement in January. Looks like I will eventually have to have a total on the right as it is still swollen and painful all the time.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched