Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The surgery is a go!

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So, I'm having a thoracic discectomy (done posteriorly) on T8-9 and T9-10 in just 5 days! Ack!! I'm having it done at Penn in Philadelphia. I was a little nervous it was going to have to be post-poned for the 4th time. I have a heart condition which can lead to dangerous arrhythmias, so naturally I had to have cardiac clearance before the surgery. Well, there were some issues with my cardiologist's office not being able to get it done in time because the doctor is out of the office for a few days. Thankfully, we got it all taken care of and they were able to clear me.

I'm absolutely terrified but anxious to get it overwith. The next few days we are super busy, so it should go by very quickly.

The doctor said I'll likely be in the hospital for 2 nights. Is there anything you would recommend I bring with me? What preparation should I be doing for when I return home?

• Kim,

So glad to see a game plan is formed!! I have DDD and spurs at T8/9/10 (None surgical, thank goodness!!!) Please keep us posted when you can. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow, good luck with everything Kim, I know Saltzworks put together a "list" on here somewhere and it was very thorough. I will look and see if I can post it here.

• I don't know about thoracic, but I really want to wish you the best of luck. Have fun this weekend. My rheumy is affiliated with Penn, and he's said good things about the hospital.

Take care, and let us know how you're doing!
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Want to wish you all the best! We will be going through surgery and recovery at the same time (minus a day) I hear you on being nervous, but you are right, it is going to go quickly.

Let us know how you are doing when you are able.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sending you my best wishes on a successful surgery and "quick" recovery. I've been following your threads so pleased to see you have a surgery date and that you are comfortable with the surgeon.

I would read the list that Charlie provided and decide what might help you out. The gripper/gopher is great since you won't be able to bend much. I don't know a ton about Thoracic surgeries either but wanted to wish you well.

• so at last, you are near the 'prize' of having surgery.

Hopefully it will be the way to help with your pain, and once you are over the surgery and fully healed you will be able to get on with your life.

We will be here waiting to hear how you get on, and will support you through the long recovery time.

I will watch with great interest to see how you get on. I hope that I will never need surgery on my thoracic spine, but do know that I have problems there.

Hope that you enjoy this weekend. Do some of your favourite things and eat some of your favourite foods. Have you got the things that you use frequently at a good level to reach them without bending or stretching?

Take care >:D<

• Hi Kim

Hope all goes well with your surgery this week. Good that you're going to be busy because it'll help you cope.

I bought myself lots of little treats before my surgery and it gave me something to look forward to and I was surprised at how calm I was. I was also really confident that my surgeon would do a good job, and he did.

Looking forward to hearing how you go once you're able to post again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008