Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tramadol, Flexeril and seizures

sukieessukiee Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,
I've been taking tramadol(50mg) and flexeril(5mg) for neck pain for a long time. I just found out that taking both of these pills can cause seizures. I am a little worried about this. Did anyone have seizures after taking these medications for any period of time? I don't want to have seizures, so I think I'll stop taking these medications. Now, I'll have to deal with the pain because my doctor won't prescribe anything else and I don't want to take gabapentin due to side effects.

ACDF C6/C7 2006

• discuss this with your doctor. Maybe he can offer you some other combination if he realizes that this concerns you.

• Tramadol is well known for causing some older people to go 'loopy,' and for many to have a bad reaction of some sort.
    Many just cannot take it-my wife for instance, felt awful from it.
    I was able to take it but eventually became dependent on it, and I found that it was causing me pain!
    You could always try a 1/4 dose, but I think you need to ask your GP for an alternative.
    I'm now taking 2x 665g paracetamol tabs every 8 hours and I'm able to manage my pain quite well on that.
    I take a tramadol probably 2 or 3 times a week on the bad days.
  • Just be careful and work with your physician to come off tramadol. If you've been on it for some time, you will need to be weaned off to avoid withdrawal.
  • I have been on tramadol for about 5 months now and had been using it according to my prescription for pain relief due to a herniated L4-5.
    Last Thursday my husband heard a loud thud in the kitchen at breakfast time and came upstairs to see what I dropped.
    I did not drop anything, it was me hitting the floor in a full grand mal seizure. He called 911 and the EMTs took me to the hospital where I had a second seizure.
    I am home now with extensive short term memory loss, off the pills for the back and scared what will happen next.
    I am 34 years old, otherwise healthy with no history of seizure.
    Think long and hard before staying on tramadol. I think its terrible.
  • Tramdol is not for everyone.
    I cant take tramadol right now. I was on it before my surgeon diagniosed me,,,in yhat in between phase where the doctor knew i was in pain and something wasent right but brfore the surgeon gt my MRI report, The trams worked great along with the soma.

But they dont woerk now post surgery.. After my Percacet prescription i was given when i was discahrged fromn the hospital was done,. I tried the left over trams. They did not help much.,. The pain in my nerck was still to sore and i needed the big stuff. My surgeon put me on Vicodon. It does not make all the stifness and sorness disapate but is good enough to help me get by and get some rest.. I also take Valium but was taking that before this situation with the neck anyhow but found out that doctors use it for muscle spasmas as well as nervous tension.. Im on flexril now.. My regular doc had me on soma which i prefere but my surgeon does n ot like so im on the flexeril. I was tol;d today my the surgon will only prescribe for 6 weeks and then will put me back tothe care of my doctor, , So far as i can tell he does not like my regular doc to prescribe anything more strong them tramadle for long term. So more then lekly he will put me back on those,. I have some lft over anyhow from before i went into sutrgery,. Once they got the MRI results i was in the hospital in two days.

trams work good for me. They dont now because the painlevel is to high at this point but i think in 6 weeks any residul pain left,,, will be alivated by tramdol. But again.,,like any medicine its not for everyone. If u are still in pain and the over the counter medicine does not work have a consultaion with your doctor about a alternative.
  • I have a whole bottle of tramadol... Mine as well throw them in the garbage because I will never take them again! Tried it 3x and each time I got the worst headache of my life with no pain relief. Also all the bad stuff I read online about seizures and dependence. When I was at the doctor for the first time asking about pain medications he said he would prescribe me vicodin. I told him I needed something I could take while working. So he gave me a script for vocodin and tramadol. I was scared to take the vicodin so took the tramadol....... Well now I think the tramadol is more mind altering than the vicodin!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I guess i have a good tolerence for pain meds.
    IM taking vicodin now and its working fine. The tramadol works great for me but not as this pain level. Its for mild pain. I tried a few pills i had before my diagnois... given to me by my doctor,,when i ran out of percocets and they didnt help at all. I still have the bottle,,but will shelf it for later when it will work.They just are a waste to take at this time.
    Tramdoll has something in it that i think hasd a antidepresant affect as well as kils pain, Its not a opiate as vicodin and Percosets are. But fools the brain into thinking it is. It works ok for me but not this point. My back has had tow disks taken out of it only two weeks ago and trmadol just dosent have the UMPP... to deal with it.

AS i said tramdol is not for everyone. Everybodys body is diffferent and thats why we have doctors.Vicodin can make one a little sleepy so if u drive or run machinery you should be very careful.

There are all kinds of medi cations anymore, If viocodins or tramdol dont work for u and ur still in pain keep talking to ur doctor or surgeon, They should be able to come up with something to help u.Some peopel may only need a good muscle relaxer and Tylenol,.
    But confer with ur doctor...