Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C7 Symptoms Help Please

Eddie43EEddie43 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Many thanks for taking the time to read this post; I have recently been diagnosed with a C5,6 disk bulge & a C7 Cervical Foraminal Stenosis + disk bulge, the result of a moving & handling injury. I went for several months suffering pain, loss of sensation, & numerous spasms on a daily basis; my consultant once diagnosed with the MRI referred me to the physiotherapist, at my second appointment the physio attempted to perform mild neck manipulation, after the procedure my symptoms increased significantly to the extent that I was laid up for 6 days in pain & what felt like partial paralysis, physio has now been stopped, I have had another MRI (awaiting result) & it now appears my consultant maybe considering surgery.

Although I am extremely anxious at the prospect of surgery & future prognosis, I have a couple of questions which are bothering me at the moment.

Firstly a current issue, does having a stable C spine injury affect the ability to walk, for example I have not lost sensation in my legs, nor do I have any continence issues, however when I take a walk with the dog I get intense pain around the lumber/sacral area, on resting it does resolve, is this common?

Secondly what are others opinions regarding surgery, is it short term relief or is the future prognosis poor.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time respond, A very Worried Eddie.

• Hi Eddie,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others dealing with the same issues as yourself. As far as can your legs be effected by your cervical spine the answer is yes. With that said many will get a heaviness in their legs from the stenosis, but other symptoms can arise if you have myelopathy, which would involve issues with the cord. Buldges shouldn't be effecting the cord, but a central herniation could. With that said your new MRI will be key in the tell of what is really going on sense the manipulation. I am glad you have stopped that treatment. Your consultant may want to try some injections to see if that will help your situation or possibly surgery.

My guess on surgery would be a surgery called ACDF(Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). They remove the disc make the space larger and then fill use a bone filler such as allograft(cadaver bone), autograft(your bone, hip), or a sometimes some of the bone they remove in your cervical spine ground up. There is also ADR(artificial disc replacement), that can be done. But you also have to qualify for that and not all patients make good ADR candidates.

We have many whom have had a successful surgery, but have moved on in life and don't post anymore. You can have a condition called adjacent disc disease from the surgery, depending on how healthy other areas of your cervical spine are.

At the top of the page is a search feature and you can read many of our doctor written peer reviewed literature on surgery and conditions. Also there are good animated videos to help you understand what they would be doing. In the FAQ section, at the top of the page, is a link to 38 questions to ask a spine surgeon.

I would spend sometime preparing for your next meeting, so you get all your questions asked and answered, and make the best choices for your individual situation.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do for you, don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.