Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What happens if I get sick?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
All three of my kids had a virus which lasted about 1 to 2 days. They had fevers and sore throats. Well, today I woke up feeling achy, slight sore throat, and low-grade temp (99.0). I'm trying to think positively and keep telling myself I'm not getting sick. I also have an autoimmune condition which causes these same symptoms if I don't get enough rest, and with the kids having been sick, I've had a lot of sleepless nights over the past week. So, it's very possible I'm just having a flare-up of that. My concern is, what happens if I were to get sick before the surgery? I'm scheduled to have my surgery on Wednesday, and I really don't want to have to postpone it again, seeing as I've already postponed it 3 times. Would it be terrible if I just take some Tylenol and not mention this to anyone? I'm hoping if I am, indeed, getting sick, that I can just get it overwith. My kids all seemed to have it for about 2 days, so hopefully by Tuesday I'll be feeling better.


  • As always talk to your doctor but I don't think there is anything wrong with taking Tylenol ( not ibuprofen) for symptoms and as long as your not febrile at time of surgery you should be fine just don't hide it from them . I know you want to get it done but let the Dr make that decision not you. Especially since you have an autoimmune disease you don't wanna fool around with that. Hope you feel better
  • Well, I think it's safe to say I'm getting sick. My glands are swollen and my fever is going up. Ugh! Dear God, let this be gone by Wednesday.
  • I vote that you take the tylenol. If your still sick when you wake up Tuesday morning you need to call the surgeons office and let them know. It is a holiday weekend so I doubt they have anyone in the office to schedule someone in your place, so your kind of safe till first thing Tuesday. If you were to wait till Wednesday and you still have a fever, one of the things they do in pre-op is take your temp. So if they suspect you are sick they won't operate. Also sense you have some heart issues, being sick on top of it won't make for a good surgery. I once had a surgery with a temperature but it was what they were doing surgery for, so that surgery did take place. But I still had a problem in pre-op trying to explain it, and they did call the surgeon to verify they were to proceed as he was not at the facility yet.
  • I agree with Tamtam Kim. I know the hospital that I have had my spine surgeries at give me another quick "once over" before my final release (BP, temp, peek down the throat, legs check (for edema)urine test)and general questions of how I was feeling the last few days.

    Tamtam is right though, if you're pretty sure you're sick or might be, coupled with your other condition, you really should try to let them know as soon as you can. Fingers crossed for you.

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
Sign In or Register to comment.