Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Root Decompression after Fusion

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
We went to our NS appt last week feeling very strongly that we would NOT consider a second surgery, but after looking at the MRI and CT scan with the surgeon, we decided that the best option was to have the nerve root decompression surgery.

The good news was that my L5-S1 fusion was a success and I am fully fused at 6 months, however because of the complications during the surgery, he couldn't make as much space for the nerve root as he had wanted to. We had been told that right away, but he was cautiously optimistic that the nerve root would be alright.

The plan is to go in through the old incision and use a stryker drill to open up the nerve root canal and we have been told that this surgery should be a piece of cake compared to the fusion.

I sure hope he is right and that this will finally fix my problems as the nerve problems have worsened much faster this time than before. But I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best and once again use all the good tips I get off these boards.



  • Sorry to hear that you are facing another surgery. Do you have a date set? Will you get a second opinion?

    Great news though that you are fully fused after 6 months! That is fantastic. You will be in my thoughts that they completely free up the nerve and you may get rid of the dreadful nerve pain.

    Please keep us posted.

    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Everything was so clear on the films and we really trust the doc and he knows exactly what he has in there since there were so many problems with the fusion that we decided to just do it. The nerve pain has really gotten bad fast this time and we don't want to risk more nerve damage, so we decided to just do it.

Sign In or Register to comment.