Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spinal Stenosis from earlier Whiplash Injury

plymdave56pplymdave56 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Approx 6 years ago I was the front seat passenger in a vehicle that was stationary at a junction when out of the blue a vehicle collided with the rear of our vehicle.

The subsequent result of this was I received a moderate grade of Whiplash, I was taken to Accident and Emergency as it was feared that I had a more severe Cervical injury, but this was ruled out and they confirmed Whiplash.

I suffered for a few months and eventually it appeared that the Whiplash had sorted itself. Earlier this year I becan to have a tingling sensation in both my left hand and feet and my left foot in particluar became very weak and I was having hot flush sensation from my buttocks to the bottom of my left foot.

This eventually got worse and I went to see my GP, who refeered me to Neurology at the local hospital. MRI scan revealed that I have what appears to be Compression of the Vertebrae which is affecting the spinal cord that requires surgical intervention.

Can anyone advise me of they have had similar problems after a Whiplash injury after so many years and confrim that such complications can crop up after so long.

• Many times if the images for a injury or taken immediate following a injury they may not show the true effect of the damages. I can tell you that myself and many here started our cervical spine journey from a car accident. Now for me it was literally days and my arms were going numb. The good thing is they have identified it now.

I am assuming they will be doing a ACDF(anterior cervical discectomy and fusion), on your spine. Or perhaps they are putting in a ADR(artificial disc). Do you know which level or levels they will be doing. There are many of us here whom have had fusion surgery, and a few with ADR's. If it is fusion surgery will they be using cadaver(allograft bone or your bone(autograft).

Have a look around and you will find many whom have gone through what you are or who are going through it now. Don't hesitate to ask any question if you have them. If I can do anything don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • I suffered a whiplash injury in the mid 80's and didn't start having issues until 1998. Things progressed over the next several years resulting in multiple procedures and surgery in 2007. Implantation of a spinal cord stimulator in 2008 has brought me some resolution to ongoing symptoms.

• In 2001 I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a semi drunk guy. I went to the ER for evaluation on my own, and they took an xray which they claimed showed no damage.

About a week later I started having pain in my neck, which I saw a chiro for. he seemed to keep it under some control for a few months and eventually most of the pain went away.

As the years went by I felt that nawing pain resurface in my neck. I did get further chiro treatmant and it would go away, mostly.

fast forward to 2010. i began getting stinging pain in both feet mainly toes, but also shooting pain from the knee down into the soles and heel areas.
    i was traeted with gabapentin and some anti-depressant, which worked ok for awahile, nut i was taking more and more gabapentin as time went on. i could no longer tolerate the pain or gabapentin side effects. i was sent to a neuro and had an emg which didn't reveal anything interesting.

now in feb of 2011 I began feeling excruciating pain in my neck out of nowhere. I have had two MRI's which show moderate canal narrowing at c6-c7 also herniated disk there and one level above. I also have some mild canal narrowing at L4 but no evidence of L4 root impingement.

My next course of treatment is hopefully foing to be another EMG, more treatment for the foot, hand and neck pain and ultimately surgery.

I have left out some details but I can assure you that without some form of pain meds I cannot function normally at all as it is debilitating.