Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I know whats normal?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This can't be normal. I know pain is to be expected after surgery, but this is unbelievable. I've been getting up and walking around, but it only makes the pain a thousand times worse. How do I know if this is normal post-op pain versus something not right? If I'm still like this tomorrow, I don't see how I can go home. He said typically patients only spend one night in the hospital after this type of procedure, and this is my third night. I don't have a very high pain tolerance but this is ridiculous. I feel like the nurses don't believe me when I tell them the meds aren't touching the pain. I know that when this is all said and done, I'll have a better quality of life, but it's hard to think of that right now.

• What kind of pain are you having?
  • It feels like I'm being stabbed repeatedly with a hot knife. It started out just over the incision but it's now my entire back and even my ribs and right under my sternum. My neck hurts too but not as bad.
  • Do they have you on a muscle relaxer, like some valium? The positions they put people in during surgery can cause some of that additional pain. Have they checked the incision to see if it looks fine? Have they done a xray to be sure everything is fine or did any blood work? Ask to see your surgeon and are whomever is covering for him/her.
  • Kim,did you have thoracic surgery? Exactly what did you have done?
  • I had a thoracic discectomy, but it was done posteriorly. The consent said transpedicular discectomy and decompression.
  • One thing perhaps to be mindful of is when work is done from posterior side is much muscle has to be cut through to access the spine. That could be a large portion of your pain, in addition to the spine itself being worked on, and also the incision site itself.

Here's hoping you start finding relief soon!

• They are lowering the Dilaudid again and starting me on steroids. Looks like I'm staying one more day. I've been up and walking as much as possible, but it only makes me hurt even more. But I keep doing it so that I don't stiffen up. I can't believe this surgery that was supposed to be maybe 2 nights in the hospital has turned into 4.
  • I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I hope that they can get that under control soon. Just keep telling the doc and nurses how you feel.
    Don't worry about the number of days, both of my surgeries had complications and I ended up in the hospital for far longer than the "average".
    We are all unique. Take it a day at a time.
    take care
  • When u hurt tel them. If u feel u are being ignored ask for a patient advocate!
    my nursesd gave me my meds but i had to 'remind'them. It was almost as if i diditn ask i didnt wo;ldent get it.\
    The first night i went to sleep i woke up in a bad state. I dont think i had any painmeds for maybe 8 hours. i thought they would have put something into my vein during the night.
    My doctors partner filling in or o him came in and i think saw i was hurting. I asked and he said i could have a sleepiong aid for the next night. When he lefr a nursec ame in a put some dilude( hope i spelled it rihj) into my vein . The doc must have seen i was uncomfortable so he took care of business.I felt so relieved!

Tell ur doctor,,, and make sure u are hesrd and need help.