Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

still having problems 3 months post acdf c3 c4

clsmeekscclsmeeks Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
was wondering if anyone might help still having same pain i had prior to surgery imbetween shoulder blades and chest and left shoulder and tremors in hands and arms spoke with nuero doc 3 weeks ago and said it was probably from surgery but I still have these issues with my neck under surgery site.
c4-5 a small broad based disk bulge is present eccentric to the right with a small annular tear. there is near complete effacement of the ventral thecal sac causing a moderate central canal stenosis. there is no significant right foraminal stenosis hoever a mild left foraminal stenosis results from adjacent uncovertebral hyperrtrophy and facet overgrowth.

c5-6 there is a small broad based disk bulge with complete effacement of the ventral thecal sac causing a mild to moderate central canal stenosis. Mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis result from adjacent uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet overgrowth.

c6-7 a small broad based disk bulge is present with complete effacementof the ventroal thecal sac causing a moderate central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral foraminal stenoses result from adjacent uncovertebral hypertrophy.

I was involved in mva 6/25/10 that totaled my car nearly head on and all has gotten worse since had discetomy t1 c7 in 9/2008 and had same issues with neck since only has gotten worse due to mva had mri done on 7/25/10 and then one done on 3/28/2011 and it went from moderate to severe stenosis on c3 c4 in 6 months does anyone think that the rest of problems will do the same. Nuero wants me to start physical therapy but I dont think it will help. because i went to pt after accident and didnt help so if pain has not changed I dont understand why he wants me to go it didnt help b4 any suggestion. thanks in advance

• i was in a motorcycle wreck 8/15/10 and had a fusion in the cervical 1/21/11 and a lumbar laminecomty 5/11/11 and it has been almost 6 months since my fusion and I'm just now feeling better. My guess is the nerves are damaged and it takes time to heal. I do feel a little better each day after 5 months so it takes time. I hope all goes well.
  • Many times they will order physical therapy as it is standard protocol. If he/she tried to put through a surgery, your insurance is more than likely to reject it, saying you have not tried conservative measures first. If I were your in your shoes I would do as he/she is asking, as he is the surgeon and you should trust the treatment plan they have. Now if you don't trust the surgeon then you need to seek out more opinions. Even if he/she offered surgery, I would tell you to get at least one more opinion. The surgeon might also have you try a injection as part of the plan. You have to remember that spine surgery is generally considered elective unless their is nuerological issues, cord compressions. I will also tell you most surgeons know the individual insurance companies and what the standards of protocol are before they can do surgery. While I understand you tried therapy in the past and it was a failure and would think it would hold that criteria my guess is it was to long ago. But as I said if this is someone you would trust to operate on you then trust the doctor now on the treatment protocol. If the therapy doesn't help, ask him or her what else can you try. I know it seems like a long process, but generally that is just how it works.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hope you start feeling better. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • You could try the PT to see if it will give you some relief. Why did your surgeon only do a 1 level? Do x-rays show any additional issues with the other levels since the surgery or might the surgeon authorize an MRI?

If you are not confident with your surgeon, could you see another?

I'm sorry you're having such trouble.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks for the help karen ibritt and tamtam when I saw him he said that because of this
    c3-4 a moderatley sized broad based disk bulge is present along with mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing a severe central canal stenosis with mild flattening and remottling of the underlying cord. Moderate bilateral foramina stenosis result form adjacent uncovertebral hypertrophy

he did not want to wait because of the pressure on spinal cord and I asked what about the rest of my neck he said that we should wait and see.. I spoke with my cousin in medical feild and she said that complete effacement of thecal sac is bad and doesnt understand why he did not do multi level so I stuck with what i got i will try pt but really dont think it will help pretty active now but still in lot of pain so dont know if it will help thanks again