Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

making doctors mad

startersstarter Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a low pain threshold.
I feel to function well i need two pain meds every 4 to 6 hours.
I have things i have to do that require some stress on my back.
I know that the bottle of meds says i can take them every 4 hours but if i do this and the meds are gone quick,,, will the doctor hassle me?

I know how they can be about pain meds.
I feel to keep comfortable i need to take two vicodin every 4 to 5 hours.,,,

Has anyone had a doc get mad for doing this? I know the bottle says u can but i get the feeling they prefere u go as long as u possibly can.

I hurt the other night,,, i needed the pain meds and my valium to get to sleep, There was a tightness in my back going up to my neck.

Im just spo fearful of being out of pain merds as i think the pain would drive me bonkers. I still can feel the tightness even through the meds.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Contact your doctor and explain your situation. Perhaps he/she may have other options.

But just increasing the dosage of any of your medications without first having doctor approval is a sure fire way in creating some type of problem between the two of you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome and I'm sorry you are in pain . One of the great things about this forum is that we can be honest with others . I understand your fear but have you had this conversation with your doctor to let them know the frequency for which you feel is required? You probaly need to be on a longer acting drug . Also what other non drug treatment have you tried? Pain management is a combination of therapies and it changes all the time so don't give up. To answer your question , the way you wrote your post made it sound like you only want drugs to control your pain and following them as prescribed is not an option. That's the problem with text , meaning can be subjective . Nonetheless if you present it like that to a dr you may risk putting them on the defensive. I would suggest taking them as prescribed so you don't run out , talk to dr about longer acting meds and try other ways to adjust your daily activities so you can do what is needed. Good luck and let us know how it goes
  • I double up when it gets real bad or when i might start my day in severe pain. But dont go over what is allowed. Actualy i keep it under whats allowed so i can save some back up meds when i might not have it and have to wait to get in to see dr for refill. Its for my own security to not make myself suffer if dr migjt be out of town. You learn the trick of the trade with medications once you are on it for over 20 years as myself for chronic pain.

But you cant just increase it as you want wanting to be more active without dr knowing about it cause if you do yu heading for trouble. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • The pain bottle says i can take two every four to 6 hours. Keeeping to that isent really doubling up or changing anything. It says i can do that. Most of the time i need to do just that to stay comfortable but that means going throught them faster then they might like,,,thus it may mean i may just have to clench my teeth through some days.Im just not sure what the doctor really is wanting... hes hard to talk to as hes busy and most of his wishes are conveyed through nurses...

Im only been post op two weeks so im not in any physical therapy yet.

• The one thing you said is tightness, which that doesn't sound like a narcotic med, but rather the need for a muscle relaxer. Valium can be used as a muscle relaxer to a degree, but I never had has much success with it, more success with a calming effect or to help me sleep. Do you not have a good muscle relaxer, that your taking on a regular basis through out the day with the narcotics? Also in my opinion the muscle relaxer helps my narcotics work better. Just my take on it. If i remember correctly your new from surgery, so they would give you more now, but they will expect you to be weaning down from them after so long. Remember you not getting pain free with the meds, but rather just you know it is there pain, but pain that doesn't stop you from taking care of yourself and doing things you need to do.
  • They are giving me flexeril, Im to take them three times a day.
    My regular doctor before i had the surgery had me on soma,. ONce i was offically under thre surgons supervision he wanted me only on Flexeril,,because soma was to addicting.

Maybe they think having soma and a narcotic is justto much.

Im hoiping ecah day ill need the meds less and less. but up till now i have needed to pills every 4 to 5 hours. Again,,, thats not changing anything ,,,the bottle says i can take it every 4 to 6 hours . I was on percets but im on vicodon now

I myself have doubts flexeril does any real good.But its all i got.I do take vlaium but was before the surgery for panic attacks,, I would be taking that anyhow, I only recently found out they are used as muscle relaxers... so that with the flexeril may make up for what the flexeril may not be doing by itself.The valium helps me sleep.

Im not alowed to mop ... vacume or doi anythign that wopuld require me to use my neck muscles much. But i have a little girl i need to bath and some things i have to do. Thus the painis going to tend to come an dlet itself be known. Exspecially high up in the neck.

I also feel inside my spine attimes a itching. Its inside, I have wonddered if thats the healing and grafting of the new disks.
  • You don't say how long ago you had surgery but from your med dosing it wasn't very long ago. You may very well be doing to much taking care of your child this early. Maybe time to get some help so you don't have to dose up to cover the pain from being active. Everybody is different in the meds needs. 2 pills every 4-6 hours is a standard dose for after surgery. You need to get in to see your surgeon and let him/her know you are having to take the full dose right on the 4 hour mark. Don't be surprised if he tells you to find a pain management Dr. I've not found a surgeon yet, in 4 different surgerys, that was willing to keep writing pain med scripts.
  • its been two weeks sence my operation. I have already been told he will only write scripts for 6 weeks then out me back under the care of my regular doctor.

Its in the morning it can be the most sore.