Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF in a few weeks

fireman99ffireman99 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi.... 42 y/o firefighter about 3 weeks away from ALIF (L5/S1) plus additional surgery to put screws n back (cant think of proper name)...... any recommendations for pre-op to make recovery better.....BTW, had shoulder surgery in April too.... been a rough 2011....Thanks for any info or advice

• Welcome to spine-health! Glad you joined us, but sorry that you needed to.
    You're first half of 2011 was not good. The second half will be recovering and feeling better.

A great thread to read is post op must haves by saltworks, lots of great tips for after surgery. I would definately recomend a grabber, raised toilet seat and having items that you need placed at a height where you don't have to bend to get them. Post op it is so important to not do any BLT's, get lots of rest, walk as much as you are able, and stay on top of your pain meds, so as to not let your pain get out of control (yikes, I felt that one this morning :''( )

Do something special for yourself leading up to surgery.

Glad that you joined us,please keep us updated leading up to and after your surgery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Well...quick update.... surgery pushed back a few weeks due to scheduling issue with Docs.... looking end of August now, which isnt too bad, it will let me get kids into fall sports and school started.

I will look up the thread you mentioned... never thought about toilet seat...I am 6'4" so a taller seat may be good idea...lol
  • Welcome!

Definitely take a good look in all the forums. There is a lot of good info here and a great crew of supportive people to interact with!

So it's near end of August? That will give you plenty of time to get your "ducks all in a row!"

• i need one too {three levels} i wish you all the best but be prepared for a lengthy recovery ,my consultant {one of the uk's finest }has told me that i will be in theater for between 5.9 hours and in hospital for up to 2 weeks the recover will take up to three YEARS ..your situation maybe different but get as much information from your consultant as you can .and maybe another opinion??
    tony {uk}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014