Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible good news on the Horizon

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,596
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Water Cooler
Hi Guys, I found this in fridays issue of MHT,"Massechusetts High Tech" "BioFlash"

It may be a hopeful sign for the future of pain mgt.
I Hope this is a helpful, hopeful read, and I hope I dont offend anyones sensibilitys, that is not my intention.

"Researchers from Boston University’s School of Dental Medicine said they have discovered that bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells can relieve orofacial pain in rats within one day of treatment by either IV injection or direct injection of cells to the injured area.

The pain did not return after the rats received stem cell injections, but an untreated group of rats suffered pain for up to 22 weeks, which was the duration of the experiment.

The BU researchers simulated two types of pain: myogenic pain (by tying up the masticatory muscle tendon used in chewing) and neuropathic pain (by tying up the facial nerve). Stem cells successfully reduced pain in both cases, they said.

They also found that the pain suppression was partly resolved by the endogenous opioid system centrally (in the brain) and peripherally (at the injured site). They are now studying further mechanisms to explain how it works.

Associate Professor of endodonics George Huang collaborated on the research with Professor Ke Ren of the University of Maryland School of Dentistry. In a Stem Cells publication, they said chronic pain conditions are difficult to treat and thus are major health problems. They added that the stem cells did not produce unwanted side effects.

The next step is a clinical trial to treat recalcitrant orofacial pain."

William Garza
Spine-Health Mod
erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

advertisement