Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed si joint fusion

sadzafacessadzaface Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi Everyone, I've been posting about my si fusion recently and after what seemed like a successful surgery, continued pain is still a problem. I had a ct yesterday and my surgeon told me that there is in fact no fusion, there's still a gap between the joint, and that I'm going to have this surgery all over again. It all seems so confusing, because at one time, about 2 months after my surgery, he told me that the new bone was growing really well and he was very pleased. So I don't understand where it all went wrong. Maybe the new bone didn't quite fill the space because he told my husband after the surgery that he couldn't tighten the screws as much as he wanted because my bones are soft. I have asked for all my medical records from the day of my surgery 6 months ago. I want to try and piece it all together for myself. This was very serious surgery, I was laid up for 3 mths and lost quite a bit of weight, which I didn't need to lose. I know I have to do this again, but I feel so scared.

• I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time, but I do wonder how many SI fusions that your surgeon has performed? I have SI joint issues as well, but there are no surgeons in my state that have been doing SI fusions.

Much luck, and again hate that you are having such a rough time..

• Check the site for SI-Bone. It appears to be a better method of fusion. If I have to have a fusion, I would likwly go with one of the two doctors who have done over fifty fusions each, and report their percentage of successes.
    I have been much helped by Richard DonTigny corrective exercises and prolotherapy by a skilled medical (non-surgical) orthopedist.
  • I am sorry you are still in pain. I am curious as to how your surgeon developed the diagnosis of sacroiliac joint pain syndrome. Please tell me which steps were taken prior to your surgery.

Typically the current gold standard to diagnosing a patient with sacroiliac joint pain syndrome is to perform a diagnostic sacroiliac joint injection under xray guidance. When the injection is performed contrast should be used to confirm that medication is going into the sacroiliac joint. Once this achieved an anesthetic like lidocaine or bupivicaine is injected into the joint (between 1.5 to 2.0 ml). Then you can perform maneuvers that would increase your pain and see if the symptoms improve to a minimal level or greater than 75 percent change when comparing your pain intensity using the visual analogue scale before and after the procedure. If this positive then have it repeated again before considering anything. If the good amount of pain is not dissipated within a short period of time maybe your pain is emanating from a different structure. Hope this helps and wish you all the best.
    Amish R Patel DO, MPH
  • I had SI joint surgery on August 18 and was in a wheelchair for six weeks as I could not put weight on my left leg. While not walking I wasn't in too much pain except it was always there at night. I have now been walking for a week and I seem to be in more pain. I have had a follow up appointment with the surgeon and he did not seem to be concerned about the pain at night and at the time I hadn't been walking so I didn't know I was going to have more pain. Is it normal to have continued pain for some time after surgery??