Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe neck and shoulder pain

WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:H I had an ACDF C4/5/6 in September 2010 but the pain I am experiencing now is worse than before this operation. I am also having very bad headaches. Yesterday 15/7/11 I had a Radionuclid Scan so I hope that this will show the Spinal Surgeon just what is wrong. The bad tremor in my left hand has got worse and unfortunately has now spread to my right hand. Can someone tell me what is wrong!! I have also found that my balance seems to be very shakey! I refuse to dope myself with painkillers as I firmly believe they are not good for your general health. My Surgeon is on holiday for 2 weeks but I expect to see him immediately on return.

Previous ops include Total Knee Replacement to both Knees also Revision to Right. PLIF + rebuild in Dec 2008.

• What part of your body did they use this scan on? When you had your cervical fusion did they verify that you were fused? It is possible that you have not had a successful fusion and that is causing you issues, or that you have some adjacent disc disease. Meaning the stress of the fusion put additional pressure on the adjacent levels, and something has gone wrong with them. However it would be impossible for anyone to say exactly what is going on. I know myself when I had another level go bad those are some of the symptoms that I personal experienced so why I suggest that could be a possibility.

While I understand your beliefs in not wanting pain medications, there is also a condition called failed back/neck surgery syndrome. Basically the surgery failed to take care of the pain, or you have permanent nerve damage. I have the latter with permanent nerve damage and I do take medications to control the symptoms and the pain. There are medications out there besides narcotics that you can use to alleviate some of the pain. Hopefully when you see your surgeon he/she will have some answers as to what is going on and a plan to get you on path to feeling better. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
  • :H The scan was of the complete spine and took over an hour. After the injection I had to drink 2 litres of water and then return after 3 hours for the scan! According to my Surgeon the cervical fusion is okay. Think I shall visit my GP and get some non narcotic painkillers. Since I had the PLIF plus rebuild in December 2008 it caused the cervical problem with 3 herniated discs at C4/5/6. Now he seems to think the problem is probably in the thoracic area. Will keep you in touch with results of scan etc when I see Surgeon in 2-3 weeks time.